Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened yesterday. The truck had been sitting all day at work. I started it up and backed out of the parking spot, put it in gear and started down the street. It seemed like it wouldnt come out of first gear after that. It was winding up kinda loud and making a wierd noise. I immediately through it in neutral and drifted a few feet, then put it back in gear and it seemed to work fine after that. The truck only has 640 miles on it. Has this happened to anyone else ? I asked my salesman about it today and he said he wouldnt worry since it didnt even throw up a trouble code. Any ideas what might have happened ?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I believe it's normal. The fan is running and it holds the lower gear longer for warmup. Someone suggested the fan coming on was related to the A/C. Try shutting off the A/c before turning the truck off and see if the fan starts the next time you drive it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have started it up and taken off the same exact way, several times. I wonder what was different this time. I also had the windows down and the a/c was off. I always jump right in and take off. It wasnt cold here either. It was close to 90 degrees.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In the diesel supplement manual it says that it will hold the gears longer on take off to help warm up process. My does almost all the time after it has been sitting for a good while.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It sounds like you had a solenoid stick for a second. I had one stick where I got no gears at all. It strangely fixed itself for about a month and did it again. They ended up replacing the vavle body and I have had no issues since.

The Engineer I talked to at Allison said most people that have it happen, only see it once and never again. A small bur or something is cleared and you go one without issue. They wanted my vavle body for testing since it did happen more than once. I would tell your dealer about it and get it on record. If it happens again, then you might get them to check it out. At 90 degrees, you are past the warm up levels IIRC.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like you said, I think I will stop by the dealer tomorrow just to get it on record. The whether here has been pretty much the same every day this week and it just seems funny that it only did it one day, if it was the warm up issue. Just to be safe I'll take it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts