Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the rare 6 speeds and I am thinking about a box such as the van aaken or something along those lines but I am afraid that the transmission will not hold up to the extra torque the throwout bearing for the clutch is vibrating bad like it is going south so if the tranny will hold the torque of a programmer I would spend a little more for a south bend clutch or something like that anyone have any luck or unluck with this subject?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Moving to proper location..

Thanks for joining and take some time to use the search feature and view all the forums just to get yourself situated with the forum. Welcome..

·
Registered
216 Posts
If u plan on adding any power you may as well start saving for a clutch, SBC single disk will be done soon it will hold the power that you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
if your vibrating allready its probaly not your throwout bearing but more like your flywheel i would'nt recommend anymore than 100 extra horses on the stock dmf their junk!! you might want to spend the money elsewhere like on a south bend kit from DEADEYE,

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:welcome:ZF MAN

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I thought about the flywheel being the problem but the vibration only happens right as I am disengaging the clutch like when the throwout bearing would be making contact witht the fingers on the pressure plate does this make more sense??? and it is only at low rpm's like 1000 or less

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
with the design of the throw out bearing on these trannys it contacts the fingers all the time!! my flywheel is bad and when i'm leaving up on it it squeeks, rattles and bangs untill it all gets tightend up under load!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ZF6 Man, welcome to the Brotherhood of Handshakers!!! I have the VA 0-70-110 version I bought from Kennedy Diesel (Supporting Vendor). The VA is really nice and a good towing program.

However, the POS DMF is bitting the dust. I am unpatiently waiting on the single disk, single mass flywheel...

Good luck.

MaxRock

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
:welcome: ZFMan...:)

The ZF-6 transmission is strong like bull...

The Dual-Mass flywheel is weak like sheep..

):h

In short, the transmission will take anything you can throw at it. I have seen a few failures, but that was from the flywheel going bad and the input shaft wearing (the pilot bearing is part of the flywheel on our trucks)

·
Registered
220 Posts
This does bring up a question I have had for awhile and not asked.

The published torque number on ZF web site is 520 ft-lbs of torque which is why the stock truck is slightly detuned with this tranny.

Does anyone have an idea what peak torque it can handle over the published number?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
:welcome: ZFMan...:)

The ZF-6 transmission is strong like bull...

The Dual-Mass flywheel is weak like sheep..

):h

In short, the transmission will take anything you can throw at it. I have seen a few failures, but that was from the flywheel going bad and the input shaft wearing (the pilot bearing is part of the flywheel on our trucks)
:exactly: .

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Does anyone have an idea what peak torque it can handle over the published number?
No the DMF won't handle it to test it):h

·
Registered
663 Posts
The published torque number on ZF web site is 520 ft-lbs of torque which is why the stock truck is slightly detuned with this tranny.
I'm probably wrong, but I thought I had read before that the ZF6 is rated for 650 ft-lbs. of torque. As others have said, the flywheel is the weak link in the system. I know I'm about to ask a heretical question, but what are the Ford boys pushing through the ZF6 when their 6.0 Powerjoke runs right? I'm pretty sure it's more than 520 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
there are a few guys here putting 900+lb ft through their trannys with no ill effects other than broken flywheels;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
no names mentioned (dealers on this forum) but I have seen several dmax with rwtq over 1500. ZF6 can handle more than anyone presently knows, at least per my info. only the DMF limits the tq.

·
Registered
489 Posts
...but I have seen several dmax with rwtq over 1500. ZF6 can handle more than anyone presently knows, at least per my info. only the DMF limits the tq.
It was impressive...and that number was limited by the dyno's capability to display/read more than 1500.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
no names mentioned (dealers on this forum) but I have seen several dmax with rwtq over 1500. ZF6 can handle more than anyone presently knows, at least per my info. only the DMF limits the tq.
1500 lb ft holly chit thems good numbers

·
Registered
502 Posts
Where did this happen? That would have been great to see!:ro) I'm sure it handles this on the street too right? On level 4 mine made 1010 RWTQ on the dyno and wouldn't hold level 3 on the street. So I guess depends on the type to dyno but some must not put too much of a strain on the drivetrain.

Does anyone know what if any mechanical advantage the the ZF6 has over the Auto counterpart? I always thought that you loss some power thru an auto trans but I know they have become better.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Where did this happen? That would have been great to see!:ro) I'm sure it handles this on the street too right? On level 4 mine made 1010 RWTQ on the dyno and wouldn't hold level 3 on the street. So I guess depends on the type to dyno but some must not put too much of a strain on the drivetrain.

Does anyone know what if any mechanical advantage the the ZF6 has over the Auto counterpart? I always thought that you loss some power thru an auto trans but I know they have become better.
I saw a zf6 with a "bastard" stack and other stuff do some pretty fast drag racing and I have seen some on dynos. a smf/ddc will hold power and doesent slip. one of the reasons they are a little grabby. the allison is probably the best auto around but all autos have some amount of "slip", probably due to the oil that controls the transmission. SD told me that trucks with the same mods the except for tranny vs fllywheel/clutch the manual would hold mor hp.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
1500.............:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts