Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the transmission doesn't go into neutral, and doesn't go into limp mode, does that mean that there is NO slipping going on, or is it just not enough for the computer to react to?

The reason I ask is because I run the Quad 110hp, and I use it hard EVERY day. The only thing I have ever noticed strange from the transmission is how soft it shifts. I really want to upgrade to the 135hp tune, but I'm not going to if I am already hurting my transmission.

·
Registered
448 Posts
AMRIC,

It's possible to be slipping it enough to cause damage over time without limping it or throwing a code if that's what your'e asking.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that is what I was asking. I was also wondering how can you tell. Is there any early warning signs? I do get some very long and soft shifts in the upper gears. Is this normal for the Allison, or do you think it is slipping?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
LIMP???????? WHEN YOU GUYS EXPERIENCE THIS WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS?? DOES YOUR TRANNY JUST GO TO NEUTRAL, OR DOES IS SLIP SO TO SPEAK OR WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS?? THE REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE FROM TIME TO TIME MY TRUCK WILL NOT REV OVER 2000 RPM AT ALL ITS LIKE ITS GOVERNED AT 2OOO. IF I PUSH ON THE THROTTLE AND TRY TO GO ABOVE 2000 THE TRANNY JUST DOWN SHIFtS LIKE I WOULD THINK IT SHOULD NORMALLY DO IN REALATION THE THE THROTTLE POSITION. THE TRANNY NEVER SLIPS THAT I CAN FEEL, BUT IT COULD BE. IS THIS WHAT ANY OF YOU ARE SEEING?? ALSO IT ONLY DOES THIS WHEN IM DRIVING THE HELL OUT OF IT. --------THATS WHY I THINK MAYBE ITS THE LIMP THAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT

Edited by: PEANUTGRWR

·
Registered
611 Posts
"Tranny slip" questions:

1) Is the torque convertor slipping?

2) Is it the clutch pack in the transmission slipping?

3) My attitude monitor shows slip between 0% to 60% what is that?

I never limped the tranny, so last night I tried. Level 5 on the fwy I was doing about 70mph in 5th gear. I eased into the throtle, trying not to kickdown to forth. About 80mph I felt it shift into neutral and RPM jumped high was that a slip? or the tranny trying to downshift into forth and missed????

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
The 110hp setting on the Stealh will not slip my transmission no matter how hard I run it, But the 135 hp setting will easily zing it over about 93-95 mph while hammering it.

Today I was running an 5.3L gasser, and running the 110hp. I had my GPS running. Once when I looked down the GPS was reading 126 mph. At that speed there is no time for finding the "print Sceen" key
Needless to say, I had an easy time at distroying that gasser.

Oh yea, The EGT hit 1386* and Boost was 23.6# And the tranny seemed just fine.
Edited by: hdmax

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hdmax what kind of gps do you have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts