Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 dmax with they ally in it. i was wondering if anyone has taken that transmission out and put in a 6 sp manual. I was also wondering which transmissions actually better? Any help would be appriciated before i actually do this. thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It's been discussed...

General consensus seems to be that it's easier and more cost effective to get one or the other.

But if you have the time, money, and preferably a donor vehicle, go for it and let us know how you make out!

I love my ZF. Whether one is better or not? That all depends on what you do, and who you ask. ;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The plate on a duramax will take a ZF6 or an allison. If you do some shopping you can certainly find a ZF6. All the other parts you can get from a dealer unless you are lucky to find a trashed handshaker in a junkyard!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
you would be better off buying a new truck....really not worth the effort and complication involved in the swap IMO. Kind of like the "can I convert my 2wd to 4wd" question. :)

not saying it CANT be done, but it would be a VERY in depth project.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DURAtotheMAX;1578768; said:
you would be better off buying a new truck....really not worth the effort and complication involved in the swap IMO. Kind of like the "can I convert my 2wd to 4wd" question. :)

not saying it CANT be done, but it would be a VERY in depth project.
actually, I think it is easier to change it from an allison to a zf6 than the other way. The TCM, steering shifter will have to be removed. A clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave cylinder will have to be purchased, and probably a shifter if it does not come with the tranny. I bet the shifter hole in the body exists on all trucks? There will likely have to be some minor drilling and a little welding to attach the clutch pedal and master cylinder but I don't expect it is that difficult.

Anyone done this recently on a truck? We would appreciate your info.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
352 Posts
A friend of mine has a 1996 chevy with a 6.5 td and it had a 4L80E. He bought a NV4500 i think and did the swap. He just cut a hole in the floor for the shifter....then custom made a clutch peddle out of angle iron. Cut a hole in the firewall for the peddle and master cylinder. As far as the tranny it basically fit onto the engine, but it was a tad shorter than the auto but everything fit somehow. I was watching him produce this truck and I was amazed at how this would ever drive. But it does. So good luck with your project if that's the route you want to take.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
wreckingball;1581097; said:
Weller Truck has six ZF S6 650's in stock; no idea of the price.

www.partsbyweller.com

Bill
They're even GM ones (part# 12577015)

Nice little piece of info.... gmpartsdirect lists the transmission assembly ($3,100), so I assume one could get one through GM as well, but maybe not...

Later, TW

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
So far I have never seen a wrecked ZF truck :mad: . I keep my eyes open and have been watching Klodes Auto Auction regularly.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
a year ago I was searching for used parts on the internet. I did see a used zf6 for sale somewhere back east for 1750 IIRC. there got to be some . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts