Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left for work and dropped my son off at daycare. I was leaving the subdivision and when I tried to accelerate, the truck acted like is was slipping badly. I stopped and tried reverse, which again barely moved. It threw the SES light. I had the wife come back and pull me back to the house.

Since I had put on a larger transmission cooler, I decided to restore it to factory before calling the tow truck. After putting the factory cooler back on, it worked just fine. The two codes were 700 - transmission control system malfunction and 747 control circuit step error. Of course, I sent my pred off yesterday to get it updated, so I had to go to Autozone to get them read.

The larger cooler was turned 90 degrees to the OEM due to having different fittings. I had to adapt to hosebarb and back to an AN -12 fitting. The in line was on the bottom and the out was on the top of the larger cooler. The overall height of the cooler was not any higher that the OEM cooler, so I would expect gravity to be a problem. Is th larger volume of the new cooler increasing the head enough to stop the pump of the Allison?
I have fittings being made so I can put the new cooler in the same orientation as the OEM, but they are not due for a couple more weeks. Is it coincedence that I changed back to the OEM and the transmission started working again? I don't think the hose or cooler are restricting the flow as both are bigger than the OEM cooler and lines. I also thought the cooler returned to the pan, so how would the pump be effected at all? Am I "vapor" locking they system? I do have the new NSBU switch. The engine and tranny had not come to operating temp yet. The other time it did a no go, the NSBU was replaced and all was well again. HELP!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
How long was it in operation,after install ??

Reduced flow due to addition restrictions ....
Drop in line pressure ,limp mode ....

That's my guess ....

Mac

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been running about 3 Weeks since the NSBU switch was changed and it was on a couple of days before that. Since the NSBU fixed it last time and the cooler was never off, I thought it was coincedence. It appears that might not be the case or I need to "prime" the cooler or something.

I thought limp left you a gear? I guess it was in 1st, so down one is nuetral? Edited by: chuntag95

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Shutting it off and turning it back on probably reset the ECM/TCM. Not necessarily putting it back to stock.

Could be flow restriction. Ask dmaxalliTech

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did ask Eric and he gave me the diagnostics for the code, which is a solenoid in the tranny. He said he didn't think my cooler had anything to do with it.
If the solenoid for 1st is sticking or weak, that might also explain why I get so hot when in stop n go traffic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You ain't kidding brother. Hopefully it will be cheaper than what you had to pay.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took her in this morning. I did remember to ask them to verify the transmission temp on the dash vs. the tech II.
Now I hurry up and wait. Anybody want to join me in a round of the Jeopardy theme song?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Chris, get me all the info you can on what they find. I have someone that would like to see it. Ask them to be as detailed as possible and maybe even get some snapshots of it, or if they can print out the freezeframe data from when it failed... you could email it to me?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric,

Will do if I can. Right now, I don't think they are getting very far. I have not been able to get any info out of them.

Chris

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I post I don't know nothing, they called.
The story is they are waiting on a tool from Kent Moore for the thransmission. They need the tool to do a TSB that they think is my problem.
Eric, have you heard about a TSB on transmissions not going or falling out of gear? I have asked for the TSB number and they said they would try to get it to me by tomorrow. Whatever the "problem" is, it is supposed to be ready by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
chris good luck with your problem......keep us up to date.......by the way I dying know about your skull cup holder.....dave

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sdaver, $4 bucks at Autozone and it hooks to the A/C vent. Solved my need for a 3rd cup holder and looks cool too.
If you put Mountain Dew or Dasani in it in the daylight, the eyes glow green or blue.
Keeps your drink cold with the A/C blowing on it. I guess I'll have to stick with coffee in the winter.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
diet mt dew........green coffee

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, this is getting better all the time.
I was told the mystery tool will not be in till next Tuesday. I guess it's made from unobtainium.
To top it off, they still didn't give me the TSB number like I asked. It sounds like the right rear bearing is going out on the S-10 I have for a loaner.
I am trying to be half full, but I think I'm going to be sick

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I dunno dude ....

Seems to me their blowing some smoke ... We dropped, entirely stripped a tranny (Allison) Minus pulling the rear (ball) bearing assembly without one special tool to empty cases,including dis assembly of the valve body ...Including NSBU to the driverside dip stick tube hole plug we don't use ... Whats left ??

I've pulled a TCM for OD lockout install no special tools either ....

If I had my Allison service manual here I could list all the special tools they say are needed .....Mostly needed for tear down ... Is your tranny out of the truck ??

Mac

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The tool used for the tsb for drainback issue is just a rod with a u-shaped notch in it so that you can push in a valve and insert a pin to hold it in. A screwdriver will work the same way... As Mac said, no special tools needed for anything that they can do for a warrenty concern..

Mac, Did you guys take off the nut on the back of the trans that uses a spanner socket, looks like 4x4 socket for older chevy's? I had to modify a 4x4 socket to fit. Did you pull pistons out or just clutches? It sure would have been nice to have that L-shaped bracket that bolts to the pto cover area to hold that shaft in so it dont slip out of splines and make it not go togather, or didnt you have trouble with it? It took me another set of hands cause didnt have it or make something.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm DOOMED!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts