Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys

If my tranny limps is that for its own protection?? How is it reset?

educat me please.

Rob

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
firerob said:
Hay guys

If my tranny limps is that for its own protection?? How is it reset?

educat me please.

Rob
When one limps for it's protection (yes) the TCM normally comands third gear .... Which means that's the only gear you got 0 to 98 .... So when and if it happens start off slowly and don't bother driving to fast .... Also NO reverse so don't dead head into a spot ,or your pushing ....

To reset : Stop in a safe area ..... Shut truck off let it set for a few minutes 5/10 .... Restart, MIL will still be shining but you'll be moving full gear selection .... The Mill will exstinguish after so many ignition cycles ....

Now I have a question ,how did you limp your tranny ....??

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't, I just saw all the referances to it and had the question.

rob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Limped mine for the first time every, the other day.

I was in level 5 on my Hot Juice/Attitude on a two lane hiway. Pulled out to pass; it kicked down into third and ran like a stripped a$$ ape up through fourth and into fifth.

At about 95 mph it zinged the tranny and immediately settled into fourth gear. I nursed it to the next crossroads where I pulled over, shut the truck off and almost immediately restarted the engine.

All was well, again. Scared me for a minute before I realized what was going on. I'm sure glad I read about zinging the tranny here first and knew what to do.

Needless to say, I didn't get back into it again real soon afterward. I pulled the SES codes off of it yesterday. I counted six codes in all.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
been there done that...... there is a shop in the panhandle of florida that can fixit from happening again..see below

1 - 5 of 5 Posts