Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I was following a big rig and a mini van. It was on a small country road so we were going slow. My tranny started bucking in and out of gears or up and downshifiting. Felt like motor wasdieng a bit then it would pick back up. DIC dinged and said tranny hot let engine idle to cool, all of a sudden the tranny temp gauge went from normal to 300 degrees in a flash and the dinger would not shut off. So I pulled over and let it idle in neutral. No luck, so I put in drive and held the break, and it started to cool. It cooled down to 200 degrees, so I take off babying it along. It shifted irradic and then went into 5th. Started up a slight grade and it locked into 4th. So I pull over and shut it off. Started again, and take off again. This time it locks in 3rd. I do this several times trying to get home. I make it home, and it will not hold any gear except 1-3.

Looks like its Suncoast time. Never had it do this before. Never had it overheat like that at all.

Any ideas on it, or is it trashed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try unhooking the batteries for a minute to let everything reset. Works sometimes. I really doubt the tranny is shot, sounds more like a sensor or something. There are serveral electrical things that could be goofy.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Sounds nuked to me, but It does sound strange that it went from normal temp to meltdown within a few seconds. I guess the tranny guage is like the fuel guage about 30 minutes behind.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What does the fluid smell like? That's usually a sign it's roasted if the tranny fluid smells burnt. How does the fluid look? Dark color may also be an indicator. But just to be clear - I'm not a transmission mechanic & I don't play one on TV.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had limped it last Friday night, but it reset no problems and was doing fine all week until yesterday.

It was on its fourth limp since new.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It smells a bit toasty, but that was during cool down as well.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would gather this in general => Dynoed Oct. 9th at 440 HP YES!!!

Has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I concur with Mackin...The days following my dyno #'s below, I limped my tranny 4 times. Stock doesn't like 440+ hp!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This I understand. That was two years ago, and I have not run that much power since. It was a one time deal. I have set the edge to defuel on all locked shifts even. I am not complaining, just trying to gigue out what went wrong doing nothing but simple driving, and the temp going out of sight.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
At what power levels were you running at and have.You said you limped it the other day.If your building that kind of heat the TC is shot,I would gather.

The clutches will slip and burn causing default gear range but not smoke the fluid,spike the temp, that quick.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was running level 4 the other day. Yesterday I was running level 3. After it cooled down I ran it to zero, and it got worse all the way home.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Running what? Your just a tad vague :)

With the current Allison an additional 75 HP seems to be pushing it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry bud. I was running my edge with attitude, and it was set to defule on all locked shifts.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Sorry bud. I was running my edge with attitude, and it was set to defule on all locked shifts.
I think you have your answer your just not wanting to see it or hear it.Your transmission has burnt C3's at the minimum and a toasted converter.

It is time for a upgrade ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you are right. I am not upset at all with the allison. It has done a great job. I have a bit over 86,000 hard miles on her. What with pulling the gooseneck and beating on it. Stage V Suncoast should fix me up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts