Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first off i love my Duramax and all the fixins....:ro)
but as u know, even the good ol Allison cant take it all. lately she's been readin a good bit of slip and i am beginning to shop around for a tranny. ive bout made my mind up to go with a Suncoast, but not sure what level and all that stuff. dont know much about the subject, and ive heard a lot of praise from the ATS. any input would be appreciated. im in Georgia and dont know where i should look to find someone that i can trust to do work on my truck. u guys know what i mean.....
i know Larry's Transmission Shop/Burger Hut/Barber Shop is good, but....:lol:

·
Registered
825 Posts
What do you plan to do for power mods afterwards, besides the Juice?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure at the moment...theres plenty of stuff id love to do...but as of now id probably want to stack with maybe a superchip, keep on level 1 with my juice....just for when i want to really embarass a FERD!!:muahaha:

other than that, pretty much like what i got. i know i want more, but money aint cheap!! not sure of what i should do really, new to the diesel performance market....any suggestions??

·
Registered
695 Posts
SUNCOAST!!! level 3 or 4. I would call suncoast and ask them if they have a good dealer in your area. Otherwise you may atleast consider a trip to their shop.... might be worth the drive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i know i cant go wrong with a Suncoast. everyone ive talked to says it will blow my mind if i get it. but will i need to worry about replacing anything else for safety measures? not sure if all the factory components will hold up under that much strain...

·
Registered
695 Posts
well, I would talk to ratlover or one of the 4 wheel drive guys. I think there is a recommended tranny brace and some tie rod links. But I do not have a 4wd so I am not as familiar with what you can get away with. I guess it depends on you in the end. If you are going to do boosted launches in 4wd and things like that you need to "beef" a few items up.

:grd:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i definately learned that the hard way. boosted in 4H and snapped driver side tie rod....not planning on doin that anymore!!!:)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
are you sure your trans is slipping? The Edge is going to read insane slip driving around town. Dont pay attention to trans slip until you are on the highway in 5th gear with the torque converter LOCKED. It should not read anymore than 1% or so when you roll into it on the highway.

BEn

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i know it has always read insane readings but they usually flash high numbers right at shift, then drop back to 0 pretty quick(atleast mine did for the first few months with EDGE) but now its constantly reading 30-40% in 2nd and 3rd. im now starting to feel the slip in lower gears. wouldnt this be my torque converter?? also experiencing hard shifts and slow shifts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lets also remember this is an '02 that i bought used. dont know if guy before me ran anything on it or not. now has 90,000k. would it be a good idea to just try and get a new Allison from dealer before warranty runs out at 100k?

·
Registered
695 Posts
warranty ran out at 36k. Unless you purchased the factory extended warranty. I would spend the dough and go to Suncoast in FL and get it done right the 1st time...

PS I would make sure it is the tranny before I did anything. And you might Call Eric and see if he has his exchange program up and runnin yet. He is in MIchigan and might ship you a Suncoast 4 or maybe rebuild yours if you have time for the downtime....

·
Registered
415 Posts
If your not in tow haul then that much slip is normal with the TC unlocked. The TC will not lock until 5th when not in tow haul mode. If you put your truck in tow haul in will shift 1,2 and then lock the TC for the rest of the gears. Your tranny is not slipping 30% while locked up. You would be limped long before you hit 30%.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright i appreciate it brother. how can i get ahold of these guys?? i know Suncoast has a website. but what about the Eric fella. and what kinda exchange program is he startin up?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well if the trannys not really slippin that bad, what explains the power loss and rough shifting? just had injectors replaced under factory warranty. doubt that makes a difference, but i dont know. as ive said, im just learnin this stuff

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't know on the power loss. The rough shifting can be a sign of some clutch wear or other issue... I'm not an tranny guru just going on my experience. The slip being read on the Att. when the TC is unlocked is all TC slip not clutch slip. Now if the TC is locked i.e 5th gear on the highway and you roll into it it shound not read more than 1 % slip. Adjust your Att so that you can watch the gear monitor. This will show you what gear of course but also shows when the TC is locked or unlocked. Also play with the tow haul to watch the difference in how the tranny shifts on the Att. Eric would be Merchant Automotive and is a supporting vendor on this site. Don't know if my explination is good:confused:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no way man, thats great! i appreciate it. im about to go play with it for a little while...thanks for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts