Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I messed up my Allison tranny. I was just driving on the highway passing someone when I heard a clunk. I wasn't hammering on it very hard. After I reached the stoplight and came to a complete stop, the truck seemed harder to move once I accelerated. The truck didn't have the snappy take-off that it usually has. Once I was able to park it, I pulled in to a parking spot. Then I tried to straighten it out in the parking spot by backing it up and pulling it forward. The problem was, it wouldn't go into reverse. I went inside frustrated. A few minutes later, I returned to my truck to try to move it. The tranny worked fine after the truck sat for a little while. Now the check engine light is on. It seems to run and drive just fine for now, but I have been driving it very gently now. Of course, I had a tune in it. I was using the Diablo tuner. I am going to set it back to stock to remove all evidence, and bring it in for warranty work. I think it is the torque convertor that messed up. If I pay my dealership a little more money, could they upgrade the torque converter? Do I sound like I'm on the right track? I don't think I will use my tuner anymore. It just isn't worth it. Once the tune is removed, the dealer can't tell that there was one, can they? I know that they are not dumb, but it they can't actually prove that the truck was tuned, then I think I'll be okay. Those techs are pretty cool guys at the dealership anyways. One tech wanted to install a Bullydog tuner on my truck. I guess they don't care that much about aftermarket items, but why risk it? I'm removing all evidence. Thank you very much for your input, and if these are dumb questions, I apologize in advance. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i dont think the dealer will upgrade you gm will only replace with gm parts.good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured. Oh well, as long as they fix it. I guess it doesn't really matter anyways. I not going to use the tuner anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
cartmanchevy;1582200; said:
Well, I messed up my Allison tranny. I was just driving on the highway passing someone when I heard a clunk. I wasn't hammering on it very hard. After I reached the stoplight and came to a complete stop, the truck seemed harder to move once I accelerated. The truck didn't have the snappy take-off that it usually has. Once I was able to park it, I pulled in to a parking spot. Then I tried to straighten it out in the parking spot by backing it up and pulling it forward. The problem was, it wouldn't go into reverse. I went inside frustrated. A few minutes later, I returned to my truck to try to move it. The tranny worked fine after the truck sat for a little while. Now the check engine light is on. It seems to run and drive just fine for now, but I have been driving it very gently now. Of course, I had a tune in it. I was using the Diablo tuner. I am going to set it back to stock to remove all evidence, and bring it in for warranty work. I think it is the torque convertor that messed up. If I pay my dealership a little more money, could they upgrade the torque converter? Do I sound like I'm on the right track? I don't think I will use my tuner anymore. It just isn't worth it. Once the tune is removed, the dealer can't tell that there was one, can they? I know that they are not dumb, but it they can't actually prove that the truck was tuned, then I think I'll be okay. Those techs are pretty cool guys at the dealership anyways. One tech wanted to install a Bullydog tuner on my truck. I guess they don't care that much about aftermarket items, but why risk it? I'm removing all evidence. Thank you very much for your input, and if these are dumb questions, I apologize in advance. Thanks again guys!
If you damaged your TC 'cuz you were beating on your truck, and GM fixes it free under warranty, you'd better NEVER complain about high truck prices :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sound alot like you just limp it. It will down shift to 3rd gear and not rev over 2000 rpms when this happens. let it set 5 to 10 and it resets. Light goes off after a few key cycles. I think if you hurt the T/C it probaly won't drive right. LLY will limp pretty easy with 75 HP tune or more.

If you did hurt it and get the dealer to fix it, feel lucky.

If you want to play you should have to pay:D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
ya im with teck there i wouldnt remove the tune or anything all that limp mode is for it saves u from tearing your tranny up u ought to be alright with your stock tranny with just that little tune i had my edge juice and mine never limp the tranny but would always go in to limp mode because of rail pressure was low but finally got that fixed thanks to ppe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
duramaxin14;1583605; said:
ya im with teck there i wouldnt remove the tune or anything all that limp mode is for it saves u from tearing your tranny up u ought to be alright with your stock tranny with just that little tune i had my edge juice and mine never limp the tranny but would always go in to limp mode because of rail pressure was low but finally got that fixed thanks to ppe
That's great to know. I will check into PPE and find out. :bounce:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
cartmanchevy;1582200; said:
I think it is the torque convertor that messed up.
I think it is the NSBU.;)

it was a trans limp, but I doubt from the power. You would still have reverse if it was an "incorrect gear ratio" limp (slipping). Im pretty sure its either an NSBU switch or related wiring problem...have the dealer technitian read the codes...but make sure he tells you the actual code number (Pxxxx), not just "its the messed up tranny code".:)

ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts