Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change my Allison spin-on filter (about 8,000 miles, currently). I understand I'll lose about a pint of fluid in doing this.

Here's my question: Do I need to top off with the EXACT same fluid that's in there now (OEM)? I understand the OEM fluid is very expensive (relatively speaking) and that the use of anything else can/will void the warranty on the Allison (sounds like a convenient monopoly to me).

I think Amsoil makes a Dex III ATF that is supposed to almost identical to the OEM fluid properties. I'd like to stock up on the aftermarket stuff for when I someday flush my entire tranny. Could I just use a bit of this to top off after I change the spin-on?

Thanks,

Terel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike.

I'll probably change the filter this weekend.

~Terel

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just remove and replace the filter with a pre-ATF-filled filter. I don't recall any fluids dropping out so that got me pretty close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm about to change the spin-on filter for my '04 as well... I will use the "pre-fill" technique for the replacement filter, but my question is if I need to add a little more transdyn, do I do it through the dipstick tube or is there a fill plug on the tranny somewhere... I briefly got under the truck today to see and nothing jumped out at me; I didn't get around to the other side of the truck, so it wasn't a thorough inspection... Anyway, if there is a fill plug please help point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that if you pre-fill the spin-on, you generally won't need to add much more fluid afterward. Not too much spills out when you take the old filter off if you're careful.

If you do need to top it off, do it through the dipstick guide.

Also, when you take off the old filter, remember to remove, wipe clean, and replace the circular magnet from the top of the old filter.

Good luck!

Terel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts