Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 Sierra 2500HD LLY w/Allison will be in next 2 weeks, and I am hoping some of you experienced "gurus" will help with a couple of my trailering questions:

A) On the HD trailering equipment package, they(GMC) states there is a "battery" wire (along with the other 6 obvious ones). What do they mean by "battery"? Is it a wire that accesses my pickup batteries, or is it a wire that uses the pickup altenator to charge my trailer batteries? I hope it does not access the pickup batteries because if I leave the trailer plugged into the pickup it could possibly drain the trailer and pickup batteries (which could possibly leave a guy stranded). I don't mind if the trailer batteries get drained but I do not want the vehicle batteries drained.

B) Also on the HD trailering equipment package, GMC states there is a "instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller." I bought a prodigy trailer brake controller and it has 4 seperate wires that come out of it. Do I also need to buy a male/female connection to plug into GMCs wiring harness or does the truck come with the connections and I just need to solder my prodigys bare wires into GMCs connector. Any body with trailering experience please help.

Thank you

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not a tech, but, here is my 02.

A. I do know that the battery wire will charge your trailer batteries. I'm not sure about it draining your pickup batteries if left hooked up and the truck not running.

B. My truck came with a pigtail with a plug in to plug in under the dash for the brake controller. Unless GM has changed things, all you should have to do is solder your prodigy wires to the pigtail and plug it in.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey Doug. I believe I can answer #1. I have a 02. I have what is called a hotwire. This is a direct wire to the battery. It will charge your batteries in your trailer. Whether the truck is running, or not. When I start the fridge on gas, I check the battery level (in trailer) It may show 2/3 full. When I plug the trailer to the truck, (with it off) the battery level shows full. If I leave the combo overnight, I unplug the trailer.
#2 I have a Prodigy, aswell. But I had it professionally installed. Excellent brake controller, but not an answer to your question. Sorry. (maybe just a straight plug in. I'll see if I can check for the connection)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think the battery wire is a direct feed from the truck's batteries and you can run them dead with a trailer. Just unplug the trailer when parked.

The pigtail business is easily resolved by purchasing the Prodigy pigtail for your specific application. It's got a plug on both ends, one for the Prodigy and one for the truck. Depending on where you buy it, about $8.00 to $12.00. It made for the slickest install I've ever done......

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will definitely unplug the trailer when the truck is not running. I will also order that pigtail so it will be no sweat to plug one end into the prodigy and the other end into GMs harness

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey Doug. I was unable to tell how mine was hooked up. I have an alarm system in my truck. (lots of wires) I'm also not very flexible to be crawling around under the dash.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Max Owner, I will play it safe and unplug the trailer when the trucks not running.

And when my truck gets here I will dig around in the dash until I find the GM pigtail connection. If they do not supply both male and female pieces, I will order the appropriate one and solder it onto my bare prodigy wires to complete the final connection.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It plugs into a fuse panel underneath the left side of the instrument panel. IIRC, the pigtail from GM that will come with your truck has a picture of which hole to plug it into. There are three in a row on mine and it's the middle one.

Might have been the Prodigy stuff, can't remember for sure. The Jeep had a loose plug behind the dash left and above the steering column.

·
Registered
408 Posts
OK Went Out Side To See If Batt. Term. Is Always HOT. Found No Power At All Truck On Or Off, Anyone Know Were The Fuse Is Located And What Size

NOTE: My Wife's 02 Surburban BATT. TERM. Is Hot All The Time !Edited by: RUMAXED

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think this is it. This is stud #1 in the manual The red thing in there is just a dummy plug. A 40 amp fuse goes in there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kartattack said:
I think this is it. This is stud #1 in the manual The red thing in there is just a dummy plug. A 40 amp fuse goes in there.

Why Is It Not Installed ? Owners Manual Says ( Auxiliary Power ( Single Battery And Diesels Only) / Dual Battery (tp2) DO NOT INSTALL FUSE )

What Does This SAY?

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Kartattack is exactly correct, as that is where my 40a fuse went that came with my trailer control pigtail (suppiled by GM) and now have power back at the trailer plug in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Doug,

Concerning the Prodigy, you might just consider spending 5-6 bucks for the direct Prodigy-GM wiring harness. It will plug directly into the back of the Prodigy and directly into the GM junction box located to the left of the driver's foot. No need to do any soldering at all.

Incidentally, if you're going to mount the Prodigy in your new truck, you can make a good installation by putting the controller in the lower pocket of the dash under the radio (You just pull the lower right corner of the instrument panel bezel up and the panel with the upper and lower storage pockets will pull off. Undo the cigaretter lighter leads, take the panel to the bench, put a cirular hole in the back of the lower pocket for the harness, take back to the truck and attach everything. The controller, with its mount attached, simply jams solidly into the pocket and you've got easy access to the controller for adjustments and for emergencies. Looks perfect with a gray interior...

The hardest part is taking a coathanger and taping and fishing the wiring harness with the plug up through the back slot for access from the front. A little grunting and cursing will get you through it...

I did this with my 2003 and 2004 - they did have the LT package with the center console opotion, though - don't know if they have the pockets different on an LS or not.

If you'd like to see a picture, I'll try using the icons to post one - never done that before, so no guarantees.

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure KY-DMAX,

It would be great to see pictures(of course you might end up doing more grunting and cursing than I will do while in the dash)

First, where do I get the GM-Prodigy wiring harness (I can't seem to find it on Prodigys web site: www.cequentgroup.com). I would much rather get it than trying to solder (especially under the dash).

Your directions on installation in the lower pocket under the radio sounds like a winner to me (and I've done plenty of electrical "fishing" so that should be easy). If I mount it in this fashion I am assuming I can still activate the Prodigy "manual knob" located on the bottom front of the unit? And are you saying that it will use the pocket mount (plastic) or the traditional mount bracket (metal), because both came with the Prodigy purchase?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try this link, they have it all. Of course there are other places also.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

This is where I bought my controller and got the extra cable, truly a plug and play experience.

Doug in Indiana

·
Registered
27 Posts
Doug,

Concerning the manual lever, if you leave the Prodigy mount attached and the "pocket" rubber mat in place, you can jam the unit firmly in place with the lever stick out where it's readily accessible if you need it in emergencies. My 2003 was tight, the 2004 had just a little slop so I just shoved a couple of pieces of cardboard under the mat on that side - works perfect.

If you've done some of this, it will be easy - you mostly need to know where to pull on the panels to free them.

The custom wiring harness is a Tekonsha "3015" - fits 2003-2004. You should be able to get it at any RV place or internet site that sells the Prodigy. It just is long enough - leave it unattached until you get the controller in the dash. There will be enough length left to make the connection in the box with the wires exiting the top and enough left to tie off with plastic cables (I routed mine along the metal bottom support for the dash - it has a couple of holes for the cables).
Now...lessee if I can post a pic

1 - 20 of 24 Posts