Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Sierra and just installed my prodigy brake controller using the special cable I ordered with the controller. The lights and brakes work fine, but the interior 12v lights aren't working. On my Dodge these lights worked fine whether the truck was running or not.

I'm thinking this probably has something to do with the 30amp fuse that I've read about, but I can't find where that goes on the 04... the fuse panel under the hood is different than what I've saw in the pictures posted online.

Any ideas?

~Aaron

·
Registered
91 Posts
The fuse location should be in the front right corner of the fuse panel. (toward the radiator) It should have a red plastic blank in it and just remove it and install a fuse. this should provide live power to the trailer. This blank is bright red and has the same shape as a fuse. it is abou 5/8"x5/8" square. good luck

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Do you have the dual batteries? I read in the prodigy (or was it the truck manual) instructions not to install the fuse if you both batteries.

I also have no lights when the truck is connected. The battery in the trailer was dead so I have it on the charger now to see if that is one of my problems.

My lights also use to work when connected to the old truck ('89 R2500 Sub)

·
Registered
242 Posts
It might be the battery in the trailer. My dad and I installed a prodigy controller in his 03 and he went to tow today and had no lights, etc. Took the battery out to charge it and now everything works. Oh, it had always worked fine before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a horse trailer... no battery to run the lights when it's not connected.

I did see the red blank that EngineerBill described, but I also have the dual batteries.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is the "low down". Take out that red blank, and replace it with a 40 amp j case fuse from the dealer of Napa auto parts store. It will look like the other square type fuses in the underhood fuse box. I believe it will be pink in color. This fuse will give you power to the trailer batteries. (keeping them charged) The owners manual is a little confusing, but what I have said is proper. This has been discussed, and recussed on many forums.

ALSO....Make sure you have the correct harness for your brake controller (ie Prodigy)..The wiring scheme was changed on the '03, from the '02 and earlier models. So, you either need a harness made for an '03-current, or you will have to swap a couple of wires on the older harness to make it function properly on the '03's. If this is not done.........You could get dangerous results...IE...brakes being applied when you use your lights, etc....

·
Registered
236 Posts
When the manual is talking about not installing the fuse if you have two batteries, they are talking about the gas engine. On the diesel you need to install it. Also the 40 amp fuse is light green. As stated above the fuse is for your 12v constant power to the trailer harness. Also I have heard some people have a strip of white tape or sticker over that row of fuses so you peel that back first. Mine did not have it. Also as stated above there should be a red blank in the spot where you want to put the fuse.

·
Registered
149 Posts
somekevinguy said:
Also the 40 amp fuse is light green.

Thanks... The pink is the 30 amp.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yep, got it (as soon as I find that spot I put things I don't want to lose, like that fuse).

Go figure...there is a differance between the "Dual batteries" that come with the Diesel and the "Auxiliary battery (TP2)" that the gassers get.

Looks like I'm headed to NAPA...to find that place where "I put things I don't want to lose".

Amesterline, did this work for you too.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't made it to the store to get a fuse, but I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I first went to put the fuse in mine, I didn't see where it went either. There is a manufacturing parts label that can hide the second row of fuses in the underhood electrical center. After I pulled the label back, I saw where it went.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dmax Tim

I live NE of Bowling Green about 5 miles, and work in Willard, Walbridge, also at times in Fostoria.

Amesterline,

Looks like you solved the problem. I have horse and stock trailers and use the circut to power internal lights for loading and unloading. I do not need a battery in the trailer.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have lights!

I ended up at the dealer... we don't have a NAPA and all of the auto parts stores I went to said that it's a dealer only part. So, $4 later I have lights in my trailer.

GM must think that most people buy a HD truck, and don't tow a trailer with it. Why else would they not include the fuse with the $45k truck? Next think you know they'll only be giving you 7 lug nuts.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
If your truck has the towing package you should have recieved the trailer brake controler pigtail that has the fuse taped to it. Mine did.

The grandson saved me the trip to NAPA. While climbing into the back to get in his Throne he says "Papa what's this?" and holds up the fuse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had to pay for the trailer wirring pig tail $30.00 but the fuse was already in my truck. FYI my previous truck a F--- SuperCrew had everything in the glove box and a light under the hood but I still like the Chevy better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts