Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2006 HD has a 8 terminal socket in the bumper.
At present, I pull a 16 Ft trailer with no electric brakes and uses
a 4 terminal flat plug. Does anyone know if there is an adapter out
there ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, there is an adapter that goes from 8 pin to 4 flat. Any trailer supply or U-Haul has them. Very common. Plug is hot for all lights but you need to provide a break controller and wire it in with the GM provided pig tail if you want the breaks to work on your trailer. Just had mine done at Camping World.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The 05's have a round 7-pin and come with the 4-pin adapter. Did you look in your glove compartment or console?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Go back to your dealer. One adapter comes with each truck. Most time people swipe them. My was missing also!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 2006 models don't come with the seven to four adapter. Another way for GM to save a few bucks. Also you better check your plug because it is a seven pin not eight. You can get a 7 to 4 at Walley World.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 2006 is a 7 wire plug. Last 4 trucks have come with a adapter the 06 does not. Cheaper!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
you only have a 7 pin plug. youre probably counting the center pin as 2 because its split. my dads 06 didnt come with the adapter either

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wal-Mart or Auto Zone have them (the one from Auto Zone has cute little red lites):)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
go to any trailer dealer or a place that installs hitchs they should have some or you could make your own i know my dad does

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The 2006 models don't come with the seven to four adapter. Another way for GM to save a few bucks. Also you better check your plug because it is a seven pin not eight. You can get a 7 to 4 at Walley World.
UNBELIEVABLE! :shake:

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Wow, now that is tight! My last four GMs including my 05 came with the 7 to 4 adapter! I have noticed starting in the 80's they kept adding content to the truck. The 2001 had content removed compared to the 96 in the same SLT trim package. The 05 I have lost even more content in the SLT to the 01 SLT. No under hood lights for example.

Do you still get the wiring harness for the eletric brake controller and the fuse?

Asking as I will be ordering a 06 LBZ soon.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you still get the wiring harness for the eletric brake controller and the fuse?
Yes....but the electric brake output wire (dark blue wire) on my truck was disconnected under the fuse box. I spent a good half a day trying to figure it out. When I got home from work I posted here and problem was solved quickly. I ruled out everything and knew something was disconnected but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Yes....but the electric brake output wire (dark blue wire) on my truck was disconnected under the fuse box. I spent a good half a day trying to figure it out. When I got home from work I posted here and problem was solved quickly. I ruled out everything and knew something was disconnected but couldn't find it.
Sounds like that was a production mistake. Can't believe it would be left disconnected intentionally unless they had instructions telling you to connect it if useing a brake controller.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts