Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed elsewhere. I am not well versed with the search function.

I will be moving from MI to FL on the 20th and will be pulling a u-haul 12ft, dual axle trailer. I have a 07 LBZ, SRW, 3500,4X4, Reg Cab--all stock except for line-x. I estimate the trailer weight will be around 6,000 lbs (probably more), the trailer is equipped with surge brakes.

So what I really need to know is:

1. do I need to put the ally trans in tow/haul for the entire trip?

2. I bought a 7.25 in. drop hitch/ball to hook up to the trailer--this seemed like alot of drop, but the u-haul guy says this is the correct set-up. Is he right?

I realize these are probably pretty dumb questions, but I'm new to the truck and to towing in general. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Leave it in tow-haul when your pulling the trailer.The ball should be just above your rear axel or sometimes even with the rear axel.I like mine a little high from the rear axel.Stand on the side of your truck and look at the rear center of axel and at the same time look at the ball.The ball may be a little higher then the axel.Line the ball up with the axel center as close as you can get.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I usually center the weight over the trailer axles and try to keep the trailer as level as possible.Tow/haul works well on the highway,I dont like it in town because of the higher shift points.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You really do not need tow/haul on a trailer that light. Seems like my owners manual recommended tow/haul only if the trailer weighed 75% or more of the GCWR of the truck, in hilly terrain, and stop and go (city) driving. Using it outside those conditions will do nothing but reduce your MPG.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You're definitely NOT going to hurt your truck with T/H mode but on my truck it won't shift into 5th until about 55mph. Normal mode is around 45mph. It extends out the shift cycles & locks the converter in each gear...You won't do anything bad to your truck by going back & forth to see which works better on your trip...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with TX. . .

Try it on and off. My tires are larger than stock so, I'll take it out of tow-haul if I'm going about 50 to allow it to shift up.

Tow/haul doesn't make your tranny any stronger. Just changes shift-poings.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
DuneMe;1583758; said:
I agree with TX. . .

Try it on and off. My tires are larger than stock so, I'll take it out of tow-haul if I'm going about 50 to allow it to shift up.

Tow/haul doesn't make your tranny any stronger. Just changes shift-poings.
:exactly: Just be sure to have it on if you are going down a hill....

·
Registered
372 Posts
ZL-1;1583845; said:
:exactly: Just be sure to have it on if you are going down a hill....

See, the grade braking drives me nuts when I have a light trailer. It holds the gear once I level out and I have to accelerate to get it to shift up then i have to slow down again to my desired speed. I have a love/hate relationship with the grade braking. On my big trailer I love it.

Tim

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
GM says to use the T/H if your GCW is 75% or more of your GCWR. Since your GCWR is 22000, if your entire rig weighs more than 16500, use it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
6000lb trailer

With a 6000lb trailer hooked on this truck, You won't even know its back there.. Tow/haul will drive you crazy with a small load like this. Just hook it on and drive normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gents,

Thanks for all the info. Exactly what I needed to know. This will be my first time towing anything, so thanks for your patience with my questions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
dieseldrunk;1584673; said:
with a 6000lb trailer hooked on this truck, you won't even know its back there.. Tow/haul will drive you crazy with a small load like this. Just hook it on and drive normal.
x2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts