Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my question, why is my trailer shaking my truck violently?

Setup: truck in my signature, trailer is Eager Beaver AP10 5 ton dual axle single wheel. Pintle and eye hookup. Tires are proper inflation, all matching and good condition.

Situation: Pulls fine until 20mph when the shakes starts. Gets gradually worse until its very bad, around 45 it goes away. It reoccurs almost every time.

Looking in my side mirrors you can see the back part of the truck move up and down drastically. This goes in hand with what it feels like, up and down shaking.

It's a pain to tow like this.

It occurs with a load, or empty. Loaded was 3,000lbs with it happening.

Last trip was light load, had a loader and backhoe buckets on it. Still happened. This was a longer distance and figured if it was the tires from sitting would work its way out, no change.

Current trailer brake controller is crap, so thats coming out and getting a Kelsey-Hayes hydraulic controller in there.

Seems to be some end play at the rims, but I've double checked and there is only one hole for the cotter pin for adjustment. I cant go one rotation up without overtightening.

Also noticed the tires are not balanced. Are trailer tires usually balanced?

When I tow the other trailer, a 6 ton, there is no issues.

I'm trying to find another truck to tow the trailer for comparison.

Any ideas what is causing this horrendous shaking with this trailer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would get the tires balanced. I presume these are full size tires and not 10" ones.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the thoughts. I figured tires but they are newer and I dont see anything wrong with them.

Tires are Goodyear 8-14.5LT (F), which matches OEM specifications.

I'll have to jack it up and spin the tires again. But I havent seen anything visually wrong with the tires.

I've driven in a car before with broken belts in one tire. That shook the car but at all speeds noticeable.

the other trailer has tires of different sizes and makes and are in worse shape (its not my trailer...) anyways it doesnt have an issue.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
the other trailer has tires of different sizes and makes and are in worse shape..... anyways it doesnt have an issue.
That pretty much tells me it's the tires or wheel bearings.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow to get back to updating on here, but thanks to all who helped. I pulled it apart to find 3 of the 4 brake levers seized. 2 seized on brake and the other seized open. When I bought it was told, and had receipts of new brakes installed. I could tell they were, however, whoever did it didn't grease the connecting points so they seized. As per Dexter instructions I anti-seized them, pulls good now. Need to adjust them a bit more to dial them in but no more shaking or jerking the truck. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts