Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This months addition of Trailer Life Mag. had a section in it, in the help section that talked about a guy with his 1998 ford 7.3l diesel that has been through numerous injectors.They stated this is not uncommon and that it has to do with the lack of lubrication in the diesel fuel. They also stated that its more common in California because their diesel has to meet stricter emissions. Also my wife ordered a freightliner M2 just like the one on the cover. Anybody have one or know somebody who has one and what they think about it for driving /towing.I really don't want it and would much rather keep my 3500. But I'm slowly loosing ground and eventually will cave. HELP anybody
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
If there is a guy with a 1998 model year Ford with a 7.3l diesel he has a custom one beacuse Ford skipped that model year for HD 250's and 350's. They went right from 97s to 99s. They did make a 98 model light duty F250 though.
Don't know anything about the M2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dave you say your wife ordered an M2?

Did you have anything to do with the order like what eng, transmission, ft. and rear axle sizes, air suspension, what cab style, there is a list as long as your arm as to how you can order this style of truck.

All I can say is make sure you have air suspension, air ride on the cab, air ride seats, sound insulation under hood and cab, the largest fuel tanks you can get, if you don't want to shift make sure it's an Allison, as far as motors you only have 2 choices, Cat or Mercedes whichever one you get make sure it's 300hp. Everything else is all personal options. On your hitch choices be sure to get an air hitch, some trailer manufactures may not warranty a cracked frame due to it being a MDT. As far as ride goes they well at least my FL-60 it rides well you just float on the air seat, this truck shines in the turning radius, visibility everywhere and it will turn circles inside your 3500. If you have a heavy trailer that is making your 3500 groan then this MDT is the way to go

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
They did not make a '98 Powerstroke and the only problems with injectors was with the early '03s. Not saying there were not any injector problems at all, but the big problem was with the 03s.

Gotta love a wife who just goes out and orders a FrieghtShaker!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wife isn't that knowledgable about truck particulars but she does have a great ability to research and copy. She read tons of info., from BOF and escapee's RV clubs. She talked to several Freightline dealers and then copied info on truck ordering from Sportchassis. Its a 2004 MBE 900 with 300/860 torque. Ordered prior to EGR dead line. Full air ride all options with 4:63 rear axle(15000 rated) BW AD-9 brake line dryer, synthetics through out even dual air horns cause I once said they were cool. She even upgraded to the Imron 6000 paint.My trailer weighs 13100 without water. My 3500 pulls it well but she wants more safety and doesn't want to deal with chevy dealerships in the event of a possible problem. My truck went in for a free tire rotation and they didn't want to honor the GM coupon because the truck wasn't purchased from that dealer.As far as the ford injector issue and year of the truck in Trailer life sorry my mistake it was a 1999 F-250. Article is on pg 74. under title Injector eater. I guess I'm gonna be waving goodby to my 3500 soon.Dave

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Read that article Bulldogger, hey if you dont like that new Freightliner I would be glad to drive it for you for several years just to male sure it's OK!!!! Really a nice looking rig hope you enjot it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What kind of engine and trans does the Freightshaker come with? I am also guessing it has airbrakes also....if it does you will 'both' need to get your CDL(the driving test is not easy). And the plates for the truck might also be alot of $$$$. Your are getting up there with the big rigs and it costs alot of money to drive them on the roads. Just some food for thought.

I am sure the dealer is not going over that with you. Just really look into it with the DMV and even the State DOT.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nowake, the MBE-900 is the mercedes 300 hp and 860 torque , it has air brakes but there are exemptions on the CDL requirement because its for RV use. Also if you keep the GVWR below I think 33,000 your exempt from certain Federal taxes. Not sure of the plate cost but insurance for it, if insured with the RV is 400 less per month then the 3500. Tolls are usually based on number of tires and axles so it will be the same as the 3500. The truck has to say "not for hire" on the door and you can by-pass the weigh stations.
Dave

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So, you did your homework....that is good. I had no idea about the exemptions. I thought if you had air brakes you would have to have a CDL-A(if you are pulling a trailer). I have my CDL class A, and rolling over the scales was a must for me.

I just learned something. Good luck with your new toy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts