Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up my killer new 9000# toy box and towed it out to the desert only to find that my trucks hitch had actually been over powered and bent upwards by my trailers weight distribution hitch. The hitch is angled up and slightly bowing the center of the rear bumper. I called around and found out it's not uncommon. I ordered a Reese Titan class V hitch to replace it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
SoCal-

I saw pics of someone else's f'd up OEM hitch as well. Can't remember where I saw it. If I come across it again I will update. What a shame we have heavy duty trucks with a light duty hitch...maybe the people that made the hitch for GM thought it was going on a Ford?? heheheheheeee..

Bob

·
Registered
307 Posts
SoCAl,

You also have to be real carefull that you don't bend the front of your trailer frame with your weight distribution bars. I've seen the nasty results of driving thru a washout without disconnecting the bars.

It's probably better that your hitch gave way. Cheaper too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Point well taken Desert Diesel. In a perfect world the rear wheels of the truck would come off the ground before it hurt anything. But we know this world ain't perfect. I actually cracked the tongue on an old Komfort Light I had. This new trailer is built on a Zieman chassis so I hope it will hold up. I sure don't want to have to undo my bars everytime I pull into a gas station.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts