Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for a big snowmobile expedition this upcoming long weekend, and was getting all the rigs ready. I realized while hooking up trailers that the Dmax doesn't have the right trailer wiring hookup. The one on all of our trailers, and on the other trucks, is somewhat smaller (by maybe 1-2 inches) than the adapter on the Duramax. Im not real great with electronics, so could someone help me figure out what I need? I assume there must be some sort of adapter that plugs into the one currently on the Dmax. Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
how many wires go to your trailer? most smaller trailers only need 4 if you don't have a battery on trailer or brakes. you should have got an adapter w/ the truck in the glovebox that goes from 7 pin round to 4 pin flat.if you have 4 wires to the trailer you can buy new 4 flat connectors from schucks for 2-3 bucks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hoppy and valley makes adapters as well. 7 Pin to 6 round, 5 round, 4round, 4 flat. Check your local parts store. Oreilly's, Pep Boys, and Autozone all should have them. Some they may have to order, but you should have it the next day.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, all our trailers are 5 wire rounds, because the horse trailer and the covered sled trailer have brakes. The little trailers probably are just wired the same without a brake adapter. Could I pull the 4 wire flat off of the adapter that came with the truck and change it to a 5 wire round??

Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some OEM adapters actually are a two piece adapter. It adapts the 7 pin blade to a 5 round and there is a 5 to 4 slid inside of it. I don't remember if it came with the GM or Ford tow packages.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not quite sure what type of "adapter" you guys are talking about, but mine is a single piece. It looks just like the plug on a trailer and the end the plugs into the truck is 7 blade and then the trailer (6 prong round in my case) plugs into the other end. Seems pretty hand thus far....and I assume I can get them for whatever configuration of trailer plug I want.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
bowtiebob said:
Thanks for the help, all our trailers are 5 wire rounds, because the horse trailer and the covered sled trailer have brakes. The little trailers probably are just wired the same without a brake adapter. Could I pull the 4 wire flat off of the adapter that came with the truck and change it to a 5 wire round??

Bob

I can't directly address the GM setup since I don't have mine yet, but I had the same problem with the Cherokee and the 7 wire to 6 wire adapter for my horse trailer. The Jeep came with adapters for both the round 6 wire and the flat 4 wire plugs, but I had to put a switch in the Jeep's wiring to turn off the trailer brake when backing up. Now my horse trailer is a little different since it's wired with back up lights I installed and which feed off of the old truck's 6 wire plug.

For me, the best solution is to just convert my trailer to the 7 wire plug. But as I said, there are adapters for both the other configurations. The RV dealer down the street from my house has them, so check those nearby RV stores for the adapters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts