Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Prodigy brake controller and when trying to adjust it for my trailer, I noticed that no matter how much power I apply to the trailer brakes, I cannot get them to lock up. I juiced it up to 13 volts and it still wouldn't lock em. You can feel the trailer dragging quite a bit but no skidding tires.
My questions are:
1) should I be able to lock them up as my trailer weighs 5200 lbs and I had an ATV and a snowmobile in it.
2) What kind of voltage should do it (I'm assuming something significantly less that 13V).

·
Registered
274 Posts
adjust trailer brakes

·
Registered
157 Posts
How long has your trailer been sitting? Long enough to get some surface rust on the trailer brakes from condensation due to changing temperatures? I use the Prodigy for my 16k lb 5er and my 7k enclosed tag with no problems. I have to change the settings between the two; and there are different levels of initial application that can be set. It is difficult to get the 5er to lock up, but the smaller trailer does it with ease, especially if I just hook up & pull off; it will definately remind me if I don't re-adjust between trailers!:badidea:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trailer was towed 800 miles a week ago (don't know if the old controller would lock em or not) Then I swapped controllers this weekend and while adjusting the controler, I couldn't get them to lock. So I wouldn't say that they had time to rust or whatever and I tried it 7 or 8 times at increasing power levels

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yep, looks like its time to adjust the brakes:exactly:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I adjusted them and it still wont lock the tires up :mad:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you trying it going 25 mph and using the manual lever? My 8,000 lbs. trailer locks up around 8 volts.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you trying it going 25 mph and using the manual lever? My 8,000 lbs. trailer locks up around 8 volts.
Yep. I can go all the way up to 13 volts and no locking brakes. They're definately working but not skidding.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just installed my Prodigy brake controller and when trying to adjust it for my trailer, I noticed that no matter how much power I apply to the trailer brakes, I cannot get them to lock up. I juiced it up to 13 volts and it still wouldn't lock em. You can feel the trailer dragging quite a bit but no skidding tires.
My questions are:
1) should I be able to lock them up as my trailer weighs 5200 lbs and I had an ATV and a snowmobile in it.
2) What kind of voltage should do it (I'm assuming something significantly less that 13V).
Try measuring the voltage at the trailer or even at the brake coils. You could have a voltage drop due to resistive connections, etc. If you measure battery voltage at the brakes(or near to what the Prodigy ouput is displaying)the hot side is probably not the problem. To verify the ground side, disconnect the trailer from the truck while leaving the trailer pigtail connected to the truck. Have someone engage the brake controller and use your meter to measure the voltage drop by connecting one lead to the trailer frame and the other to the truck frame(you will need to check it on bare, non-rusted metal) Whatever voltage you measure this way is the amount of voltage drop between the truck and the trailer. Idealy, this number should be zero, or very low at least. If not you need to look for where the ground wiring is resistive. Could be anywhere from the pins/sockets in the plug to splices or where the wire terminates on the frame. I have found that some OEM trailer manufacturers do not run a ground through the plug, I suppose to save money. This is a built in ground problem as the only thing that will complete the circuit then is the metal to metal contact of the hitch components. :badidea: Works fine while all the parts are new and shiny but is a problem waiting to happen.;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Brick
My first question is why would you want to lock up the tires? IIRC my brake controller (prodigy) contained a section in the description where it said the controller can vary the voltage to prevent lock up so that controlled stopping can occur.
I've had two different 5th wheels and I don't think I've ever had the wheels lock up while stopping.
FWIW My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brick
My first question is why would you want to lock up the tires? IIRC my brake controller (prodigy) contained a section in the description where it said the controller can vary the voltage to prevent lock up so that controlled stopping can occur.
I've had two different 5th wheels and I don't think I've ever had the wheels lock up while stopping.
FWIW My 2 cents
Locking up your wheels is not the proper setting to run for towing your trailer. Setting the prodigy so that it applies braking power just prior to lock-up is. So the brake controller should be able to lock the brakes and I need to set the power level just below the point where it does lock them. If I can't lock up the wheels, then there is potential for a lot more braking ability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts