Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a 7-way plug inside the box since I'm buying a gooseneck trailer.

Most of the plugs I've found around town are really cheesy, poor quality.

Max Power mentioned a while back that Hoppy is a good brand, but I can't seem to find them anywhere locally, and I can't find a supplier online that actually guarantees the plug they have is a Hoppy.

Any ideas on where to get a high-quality plug I won't have to replace constantly?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Most of the ones that I've seen are more or less the same quality. I don't know if I would hold out for a hoppy. What is wrong with the ones you are finding?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I'd like to install a 7-way plug inside the box since I'm buying a gooseneck trailer.

Most of the plugs I've found around town are really cheesy, poor quality.

Max Power mentioned a while back that Hoppy is a good brand, but I can't seem to find them anywhere locally, and I can't find a supplier online that actually guarantees the plug they have is a Hoppy.

Any ideas on where to get a high-quality plug I won't have to replace constantly?
Any of your friends in the parts business, ya 21 year old virgin? ):h

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Tractor Supply Company has Hoppy around here, Merchant has an in bed wiring harness also not sure what for plug in comes on it though.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones I'm finding are just flimsy as hell, Max. If there's anything that pisses me off, it's crappy trailer wiring that won't work when you need it.

The new trailer has full LED lighting which is supposed to be tractor/trailer quality. We'll see...

Thanks guys...Uncle Scotty's gonna hook me up. :)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, TBB. I don't think that's what I'm after, though. My truck was ordered with the gooseneck/5ver harness already installed, so the loom is tied up between the box and cab.

That harness must be for trucks that didn't come with the option from the factory.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
no problem, yes I believe that the harness is for those that did not come factory equipped

·
Registered
737 Posts
Have you looked at e-trailer?
Website is www.etrailer.com

There stuff is Hoppy, thats where I got mine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
There are kits coming out soon that will T into the 7-way in the back(like the fifth wheel wiring provisions do) but the other end will have a 7-way Pollak plug so you can get a good quality 7-way in the bed and not have to hard wire anything. It should all be plug and play. Pollak and Valley are the brands that are going to be making these.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where in the bed are these typically mounted?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thats where mine is. I have the metal six pin. I have also seen them in front of the left fender. This is good if you are pulling a trailer with a deck above the coupler. It makes it a little harder to smack yer knoggin when hooking up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I installed mine just ahead of the wheel well to keep it from getting bumped and broken. It is also closer to the center line of the ball.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it mounted on a sheet metal bracket that is screwed into the side (or lip) of the box, or is it mounted into a hole drilled into the side of the box so that the connector is more or less flush?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
In da hole.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got my Hoppy on Amazon, by far the cheapest that I found. You need to know what you are looking for. I have used Hoppy for years and found their quality to be good. BTW, we use six wire for the gooseneck trailers here.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put a 6 pin in the triangle form just ahead of the fender( look at Tom S picture). This gets it up off the floor about 8". One nice thing about mounting it ahead of the fender is less chance of road slush and ice sticking to the harness in snow country.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts