Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe this goes in this section. How do trailer brakes work? Does the Brake Actuator take electronic signals from your truck and turn them into hydrolic pressure?

·
Registered
445 Posts
my trailer is on magnetic brakes.. and thus current causes clamp down.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine isn't hooked up to engage on disconnect.. but I will say that mine work decently.. I wish I had two axles with brakes instead of one when I pull really heavy loads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You would obviously need hydraulic brakes. If you have electric now, you would need to convert to hydraulic disc or drum brakes, preferably disc. If you have electric your best bet is to just keep them maintained and adjusted correctly. Changing to hydraulic is pretty costly.

I should add that the link you listed is for surge hydraulic brakes, most commonly found on boat trailers.

Hope that helps. If you are interested in a conversion, check out KodiakBrakes they have everything you need to convert to hydraulic.

Tim

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Depends, are you talking strict electric brakes (have magnets as acutators, or electric over hydraulic? Even some of the old trailers had vacuum brakes those were nightmares.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you have electric/hydrolic brakes, the brake controler in the truck sends voltage to the trailer, the control unit on the trailer then converts the signal to hydrolic pressure. This works best with disk brakes. Otherwise its drums with an electric actuator.

Bentley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.