Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, here's the situation...we're moving about 2 hrs away and plan A (borrowing friend's large flat bed trailer) has fallen through for now. I had another friend loan me his 20' 6 ton trailer and I picked it up last night.

When hooking it up the lights weren't working well. He figured it was dirty and dripped some oil in the wiring plug. We got the lights to work, but the brakes don't. My brake controller says no trailer is hooked up. I'm actually not too concerned with no brakes on the trailer because I'm only loading it up with lighter more bulky stuff on the trip (sofas, chairs, tables, beds, etc.). BUT...the trailer brakes will seize up on the right side if I'm taking a slow hard right turn. If I came to a stop sign everything is fine, then when I turn right I can hear the right side tires chirping and dragging...feels like I'm in 4x4 on dry pavement. It may very well be both sides seizing, but it really struck me as though it was only the right side. This whole issue never happened when turning left.

After I make the turn the wheels will turn again but the slightest tap on the brake pedal will send the trailer brakes into near full force. This happens for a little bit, then its back to no issues...just no brakes.

100% of the time my brake controller shows no sign of connection. Even when I'm at the stage that the slightest tap on the pedal nearly locks the trailer brakes...nothing on the controller.

Its not that old of a trailer. But doesn't get used on the road frequently. He uses it a lot on his farm and occasionally on the road. It had been a couple of months since he had it hooked up for on road use.

Something I realized I should have tried last night was to unplug the trailer and take a hard right to see if the brakes still locked up. I'll do that tonight...but I need all the help I can get now as well. I will also get the plug blown out with some air and see if there's anything loose.

I need to get this thing loaded up tonight and head out about 5 tomorrow morning. I feel very confident this isn't an issue with my truck.

Thanks for any help and advice!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I assume you have used this truck and brake controller on another trailer with no problem. If so then I would be removing the brake assembly on the trailer. From your description it appears to me a problem with the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you have used this truck and brake controller on another trailer with no problem. If so then I would be removing the brake assembly on the trailer. From your description it appears to me a problem with the trailer brakes.
Yes, My truck has worked great with other setups.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like your friends trailer has some issues maybe in the wiring....if your light is not working the trailer may not be grounding or just is not getting power............check the plug a ton of times the brake wire gets pulled out of the plug.

Hope you find a fix!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strikes me as too consistent of an issue related to the right turns to be a loose wire issue. I will humbly admit that I have next to zero experience with this sort of thing, but have a general troubleshooting understanding. Good news is that I have a friend that does have experience with it that is going to come by today and see what he can find out. Any other suggestions on what to look for let me know. I can get back on here with replies to any thing you guys suggest we check and what not. I should be back there in a couple of hours.

Thanks again for any help here you guys!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never did figure out what was wrong with it. We just snipped the brake wire and went ahead with the move. Everything went just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts