Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have the Tekonsha controller in my truck. I checked the 3rd brake light, it works. I checked Pin 1 and Pin 2 fuses are good in both. I checked all wiring to be sure both pigtails were plugged in. I have not checked for voltage yet but my controller light does nothing when I hit the brakes. All of my other vehicles with controllers do not need a trailer hooked up for the controller to light up. Is this 1 different?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Without a trailer hooked up to mine the only light I get is the small power light and I only get that one when I use the brakes.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You might want to check all four pins in the truck's fuse block; the pin locations may be different than described in the instructions.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy and Tekonsha harness. I had to relocate two pins in the harness connector to make the controller work; the pin locations in the harness connector were correct, but the pin locations in the truck's fuse block are incorrect. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The power light does nothing. I will investigate some more, I just need to get this working soon.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I ran out with a multi meter. I have 12 volts ( truck off ) constant on the blue wire right at the controller. When the brakes are pressed I then have 12 volts to the red wire. I have no clue what the white wire is for but I had nothing there. The light however still does nothing. Maybe a burned out light?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Black wire needs constant 12V. White wire is ground.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okay, I have the Tekonsha controller in my truck. I checked the 3rd brake light, it works. I checked Pin 1 and Pin 2 fuses are good in both. I checked all wiring to be sure both pigtails were plugged in. I have not checked for voltage yet but my controller light does nothing when I hit the brakes. All of my other vehicles with controllers do not need a trailer hooked up for the controller to light up. Is this 1 different?
Is this a Tekonsha Voyager or Prodigy brake controller?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the Voyager. Here is the wiring breakdown.

Blue= Constant 12v
Black= Constant 12v
Red= 12 when brake applies
White= Ground

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked out the diagram ( Thanks ) but shouldn't the blue wire have power only when you press the brakes? Now I am thinking the controller itself is toast not just the light.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You might want to check all four pins in the truck's fuse block; the pin locations may be different than described in the instructions.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy and Tekonsha harness. I had to relocate two pins in the harness connector to make the controller work; the pin locations in the harness connector were correct, but the pin locations in the truck's fuse block are incorrect. :)
teksonsha had a problem wiht few year harnesses.. you do have to relocate some pins if you dont have the good one

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine looks like the factory GM harness that was spliced ( butt connectors ) to the Voyager. All of the colors match at the connection. I also pulled the plug from the box under the dash. There are 6 pins in the box but only 4 in the plug.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You may have to adjust the wires on the plug even if it is the factory plug. As mentioned they had some issues with the plugs an the model years. Go to gmupfitters.com and check out your wiring diagram. You are looking for the plug diagram of the trailer connector at the midbec. I will look for it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pulled out the controller. I cross referenced the 2 sites for the wiring and everything is where it's supposed to be. I am really looking at a bad controller. It's wired right, the trailer control wire has constant 12v, which seems wrong to me. It seems to me it shouldn't have any power until you press the brakes.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It may have some voltage because it does know when there is something hooked to the truck. If it didn't send voltage it wouldn't know if there was anything hooked up. You may want to try to hook to a trailer and give it a try.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay. I feel like a tool now. Plugged the trailer in and everything lights up green. Hit the brakes and it turns red. Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts