Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add back up lights to my flatbed. I would love to control them from the cab. I noticed there is an aux. on the 7 way trailer harness. What does that do and where does it go. Would it be possible to tap into that? Any insight appriciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The reverse lights pin in the 7-way comes directly from the reverse light circuit. You can add another set of lights by tapping into the wiring to that pin, the lights will come on when the truck in put in reverse.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to get control from a toggle. This way they can stay on while your jockeying around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used the "trailer back up" circuit from the underhood fuse box to power up the circuit independent of the back up switch...You have to take loose the fuse box under the hood and find the green wire underneath the fuse panel coming from the circuit...I added a 12 volt source and switch to it and now I have a lighted switch in my cab...When the truck is in reverse, the switch lights up and if I want the back up lights to stay on, i turn the switch on...It works great and you you do not have to run a wire all the way back to the rear of the truck...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I used the "trailer back up" circuit from the underhood fuse box to power up the circuit independent of the back up switch...You have to take loose the fuse box under the hood and find the green wire underneath the fuse panel coming from the circuit...I added a 12 volt source and switch to it and now I have a lighted switch in my cab...When the truck is in reverse, the switch lights up and if I want the back up lights to stay on, i turn the switch on...It works great and you you do not have to run a wire all the way back to the rear of the truck...
But you can only switch them on while the truck is in reverse, correct?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
the aux power is for charging the trailer battery, i believe. Which would also allow you to run the lights on in the trailer. It is fused so I can't see how you would run a switch to it. they do have the wireless controlled hella back up lights that might be able to reach far enough to turn on and off without needing to run wires. This would give you in cab controls and may cover you. You would have to tie into the running lights for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KC Hilites makes a backup light kit that may work well for you. Comes with a relay that taps into your reverse circuit and comes with a switch to enable you to keep them on. I have them and they work very well. no complaints.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will go check but i think the battery would charge off of the hot wire not the aux.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts