Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ’m having a hard time wrapping my head around GM’s axle ratio on the trail boss/At4. I always order my trucks and I would like to order a diesel half ton. You can only get 373‘s in a Chevy with a diesel off-road package that’s the only way you can get them, you can’t get them in a GMC at all. I happen to like the Chevy better than the Gmc but you can’t get a diesel Trailboss! Why does Gm not want to sell trucks? Not everyone just buys something off the lot because it’s pretty! They have all the parts, I’m not asking for something that doesn’t exist. I just want it built the way I want it built ! This makes no sense!

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
I ’m having a hard time wrapping my head around GM’s axle ratio on the trail boss/At4. I always order my trucks and I would like to order a diesel half ton. You can only get 373‘s in a Chevy with a diesel off-road package that’s the only way you can get them, you can’t get them in a GMC at all. I happen to like the Chevy better than the Gmc but you can’t get a diesel Trailboss! Why does Gm not want to sell trucks? Not everyone just buys something off the lot because it’s pretty! They have all the parts, I’m not asking for something that doesn’t exist. I just want it built the way I want it built ! This makes no sense!
Blame the GM bean counters...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But all the parts are there. Maybe some hard working dummy like me wants a truck with 373 gears so I can put a little bit bigger tire that would put it right back in the Rpm range that a stock trailboss with 323 would turn? Look at what they did with the 6.6 gas, 373 gears and 6 speed trans,its a dog towing in the mountains! Let the people get the gears they need! They used to! Ford and Ram have choices.

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
But all the parts are there. Maybe some hard working dummy like me wants a truck with 373 gears so I can put a little bit bigger tire that would put it right back in the Rpm range that a stock trailboss with 323 would turn? Look at what they did with the 6.6 gas, 373 gears and 6 speed trans,its a dog towing in the mountains! Let the people get the gears they need! They used to! Ford and Ram have choices.
I agree. People should be able to order what options they want/need.
The GM bean counters have other ideas on how to save a peanut or two to make a profit and we get cut short.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
So put the lift on if when you're changing the tires and you'll have what you're after.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and I can build my own Raptor fighter, Trx fighter. I’m old and tired I want what I want not build what I want.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I remember the old days when you could pick the axle gears, 4.56, 4.10’s, 3.73’s

Reactions: biotec and OkDually

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I remember the old days when you could pick the axle gears, 4.56, 4.10’s, 3.73’s
And top gear in the trans was always 1:1

And 70 mph mean the engine was screaming....

and +/- 4 mpg was common...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes but now we have at least two overdrive which will offset the lower gears!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
And top gear in the trans was always 1:1

And 70 mph mean the engine was screaming....

and +/- 4 mpg was common...
Even in 96 when I bought my 1st new truck I got a 3500 with 4.56 it had the 4l80 that helped. I knew bigger tires were going on so it was perfect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly! Joey

15 Posts
I suspect CAFE standards are the reason for lack of choice in rear end gearing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then they are doing something wrong, because the competition has choices of gear ratio and fuel tank sizes. They just know dopes like me won’t buy anything but a GM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts