Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we've had quite the decision making process going on in the house lately. We have the truck listed in my sig. The truck is used for towing between 7k and 9k lbs on a fairly regular basis. More importantly, the truck is used on a daily basis. My wife desires an SUV for daily use instead of the truck. She feels more comfortable with the shorter turn radius and better visibility of the 'Burb. My wife tends to drive the truck more on a daily basis due to the fact she's usually the one hauling kids, dogs, etc around and our other vehicles are not well suited for this task (sports cars). So....we're at a decision point.

The CC/DA is unsurpassed for towing. It seems the 8.1 isn't too far behind but obviously much more of a gas hog. We're considering an 8.1 'Burb with 3.73's so I'm hoping gas mileage won't be completely horrible. With the trailer I pull (24' enclosed), the DMax gets about 10mpg at speed (70-75). I'm expecting the 8.1 to get about 7-8mpg towing. Empty my CC/DA gets 16mpg at 75mph. I'm expecting 12mpg or so with a 'Burb under the same condition. Are these expectations out of line?

Any other considerations to look at? The '06's are obviously receiving heavy discounts now. Our DMax's aren't holding their value very well either as I've found on my trade value appraisals. :mad:

I like our current truck, but I have to say I'm also frustrated with the current diesel prices. The higher diesel price wipes out a lot of the benefit of the better mileage (although I'm still coming out ahead I think). I also think the idea of gassing up at any convenient location would be nice to do again as well, instead of hunting down a station with diesel.

Thanks to all with any advice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well this sounds familliar have truck in sig put about 9000 miles a year on it. Da wife has a 2003 Z71 burb 5.3 she runs 28000 miles a year. I wanted to trade the truck for a diesel and let her drive that until it's time to tow the camper. And would get me a car just to "run with". Well se said I'm driving MY burb. So the d-max is on hold for a while

·
Registered
241 Posts
i think you will kick yourself in the a$$. (no offense) the durability, power, and response of the d-max will be no comparison to the gasser. i have a buddy with an 8.1 in a 2500hd that gets 11 hwy/8 town, he ask me all the time if i will trade with him. and of course, i dont!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts