Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally switched over from dodge to chevy. I have had three dodge's 98', 01', 04'5, all have been good trucks the only gripe I had about them was there lack of ride quality. Not a big deal seeing as they were used for work anyway. I loved the cummins engines and never had a problem ever with them even after bombing them. The real test will be this spring when i start towing my 12k pintle trailer. The dodges always felt pretty stable with only a little of tail sway I hope the chevy is as good. Empty the LBZ feels much quicker then my 04'5 dodge empty. So far Im just driving and loving it 14.5mpg city in the 100 miles it has on it thus far with a tight engine is impressive. My dodge averaged about 10.5mpg when new.:ro)

2006 LBZ 3500 dooley crew cab 4x4 in greystone metalliac

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
:welcome:

You'll love it. The Duramax with the Allison transmission can't be beaten by Dodge or Ford.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats and hope you have many happy miles ahead. I am on my second Duramax, the first one was a 2001 LB7 and now a LBZ. I used to run Ford PSD's and have not looked back since.

IMO, GM offers the best overall package in a diesel pickup, the powertrain, ride, etc. I have a Siverado LBZ 3500 2WD with 4,000 miles on the odometer and it get 18 to 20 mpg on the highway empty. Most of the time I drive it like there's an egg between my foot and the accelerator which is why I get that kind of mileage, but sometimes I have to let her loose! :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well I finally switched over from dodge to chevy. I have had three dodge's 98', 01', 04'5, all have been good trucks the only gripe I had about them was there lack of ride quality. Not a big deal seeing as they were used for work anyway. I loved the cummins engines and never had a problem ever with them even after bombing them. The real test will be this spring when i start towing my 12k pintle trailer. The dodges always felt pretty stable with only a little of tail sway I hope the chevy is as good. Empty the LBZ feels much quicker then my 04'5 dodge empty. So far Im just driving and loving it 14.5mpg city in the 100 miles it has on it thus far with a tight engine is impressive. My dodge averaged about 10.5mpg when new.:ro)

2006 LBZ 3500 dooley crew cab 4x4 in greystone metalliac
Congrats on your new truck. I have a question related to your Dodge, My friend has a 2005 Dodge Cummins 4X4, he has oil dripping on his driveway, asked him about it yesterday and he told me it's leaking from the oil blow by tube. Dealer told him that's the way the Cummins is designed and it's normal. Any truth to that? Did yours drip oil after you parked it? My wife who can care less about Trucks saw the oil stains on his driveway and thought it was not right.

·
Registered
224 Posts
my 04.5 dodge does not drip out the tube.it is a vent hose. if he is losing any amount of oil-chances are-it is overfilled. the lbz will be a quicker truck. the cummins is an inline motor. not built for speed off of the line,etc. it is made for heavy pulling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good luck to you. Hopefully you will have more luck with the 06 than I had with an 2005. I had a bad overheater when trying to tow in the heat.

You are right, I wish I still had the ride and comforft of my 2005 GMC over my 2005 Dodge. You are on the money on speed. I am guessing that a GMC will run the 1/4 mile in about the same time my Dodge will run an 1/8 mile.

The only time the Dodge is faster is going up ahill with a big load. Dodge pulled my same trialer over Monteagle 10 MPH fater than my GMC. Perhaps not a fair comparsion, the Dodge is a 6 speed and the GMC was a 5 speed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congrats on your new truck, I hope it serves you as well as your Dodges.

As you with the Dodges, I just recently converted from Fords. I had been driving them for the past 13 years and had three different diesel 7.3's; a '93, '99, and an '02. They served me well but I switched to a GMC because of the reputation of the newer Ford 6.0's.

I've only put ~600 miles on my LBZ so far, and other than a ~20 mile test run with my 14K trailer, haven't towed with it yet.

I did notice during the test run that the GM chassis seems to feel the load more that the Fords I've owned. My test drive consisted of mountain grades ranging from 5% to 9% and numerous switchbacks. About 2/3 of the test run was uphill, remaining 1/3 of it downhill. The level tow was negligible.

When I say the truck seemed to feel the load a lot more than the Fords, I'm referring to transmitted weight, surging, tugging, etc. Not saying the pulling power is an issue. I attributed it to the frame of the truck not being as stout as a Ford's.

Pulling power was adequate, engine was quieter under load, downhill retardation marginally acceptable, and fuel consumption excessive (7.2 mpg). All factors considered, it'll probably still get the job done, it's just different. :grd:

As said earlier, congrats on your new ride and welcome to The DP. :ro)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good luck to you. Hopefully you will have more luck with the 06 than I had with an 2005. I had a bad overheater when trying to tow in the heat.

You are right, I wish I still had the ride and comforft of my 2005 GMC over my 2005 Dodge. You are on the money on speed. I am guessing that a GMC will run the 1/4 mile in about the same time my Dodge will run an 1/8 mile.

The only time the Dodge is faster is going up ahill with a big load. Dodge pulled my same trialer over Monteagle 10 MPH fater than my GMC. Perhaps not a fair comparsion, the Dodge is a 6 speed and the GMC was a 5 speed.
They did a towing comparison once with the 3 trucks with all '05's pulling 10,000 pounds up the hill and the gmc won by good bit. That has just increased a lot with the '06's putting out quite a bit more yet.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
my 04.5 dodge does not drip out the tube.it is a vent hose. if he is losing any amount of oil-chances are-it is overfilled. the lbz will be a quicker truck. the cummins is an inline motor. not built for speed off of the line,etc. it is made for heavy pulling.
So are you getting drips on your driveway from the vent hose?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On the Dodge dripping... If it's making a puddle on the driveway it's likely the engine is overfilled. Mine trickles a little out and you can tell the end of the hose is wet and once in a while some will blow back onto the bellhousing. But I've never had a single drip on my driveway or garage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would you want speed from a diesel ? My dodge has a lot more pulling power than the DMAX I drive for work as for the ride the DMAX is better only on the freeway. I had no choice in the work truck. I'm not happy with the passing power of the DMAX W/allison trans.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why would you want speed from a diesel ? My dodge has a lot more pulling power than the DMAX I drive for work as for the ride the DMAX is better only on the freeway. I had no choice in the work truck. I'm not happy with the passing power of the DMAX W/allison trans.
Why wouldn't you want speed with a diesel?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

Them Cummins guys just can't handle being out classed. You can't convince me that 325/600 will outpull 360/650. It's power and gearing that pulls not the engine name. The engine has to produce work to obtain the rating. They don't just plug numbers in there that mean nothing and theres no such thing as better torque as these guys would like you to believe. And since the 06 DMax makes even more torque from 1600 through the entire RPM band I would say the 05 A$$ woopin Ford and Dodge took in the stock truck pull off will be even worst in 06.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Them Cummins guys just can't handle being out classed. You can't convince me that 325/600 will outpull 360/650. It's power and gearing that pulls not the engine name. The engine has to produce work to obtain the rating. They don't just plug numbers in there that mean nothing and theres no such thing as better torque as these guys would like you to believe. And since the 06 DMax makes even more torque from 1600 through the entire RPM band I would say the 05 A$$ woopin Ford and Dodge took in the stock truck pull off will be even worst in 06.
I have a ford 6.0, dodge 5.9, gmc lb7. when it comes to pulling 10,000 lbs. up hill, yes the dodge pulls them kind of loads "better" than the other two In my small trucking buisn. I like the dodge for work and the gmc for comfort.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What you are missing in the equation is the power loss through a torque convertor and automatic transmission. A great deal of your horsepower in turned into heat going through the tranny. All the heat in your transmission is wasted engine power. Look at the size of your transmission cooler.

On the ther hand, a manual transmssion loses very little power. It doesn't get hot.

Just look at the OTR trucks moving the bulk of the freight down the road, 98% of these trucks are stick.

I would say that if GM would hook up an LBZ to stout manual, it would be the top towing truck than anything on the market.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I have a ford 6.0, dodge 5.9, gmc lb7. when it comes to pulling 10,000 lbs. up hill, yes the dodge pulls them kind of loads "better" than the other two In my small trucking buisn. I like the dodge for work and the gmc for comfort.
Evidently you haven't driven a GM lately. Since your LB7 (01 and 02) GM has increased the DMax 60 HP and 130 Ft/lbs Torque. They also increased the Allison from a 5 to a 6 speed.

Just the other day I did have the opportunity to do a Stock for Stock pull against an 05 Cummins when moving campers to a camper show. We both had about 11K hitched. I was actually taking it easy (truck not broke in) and he kept trying to get a race going. Finally I said WDF and put it in the corner. When we passed him he had a forced smile with a very flushed face from embarassment. After everyone harrassed him all day I think he realized he screwed up as he now eliminated any doubt others in the caravan may have had. Now he will never be allowed to live it down. The camper dealer which is a very good friend of mine says he doesn't brag too much about his truck anymore. He said this was quite common before the spankin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why wouldn't you want speed with a diesel?
Because it is diesel!!!! If you want to race a truck bye a SRT 10 the fastest production truck. The race described by two campers stock what gears (3:73 4:10 )did the trucks have?, and I dont believe the dodge driver knew how to drive If he did he would not have tried it in a dodge. The inline six can not produce the RPM as fast as the DMAX however the CTD will out pull the DMAX. If the race was on a 10 mile 6% grade, the CTD would beat him and he would overheat and warp an aluminum head trying to keep up. The new torque only helps the heat issue a little more, if you read your own web site the DMAX still has the same problem as for the inline six it still has more torque than a V8 the DMAX will have do better to keep up.(maybe they can try an aluminum block as well)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts