Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time member here. I need help with my traction problems. I own a 2005 GMC 2500HD D/A. The only problem I've expereinced with my truck is "traction" on gravel or wet grass.
I understand that a load in the bed of the truck will help but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions that cured this problem for them.
Anyone used a tire that really helped with this problem?
Or how about traction mats/pads, any recommendations concerning them?
Thanks for your help. I am scared to drive across wet grass with this truck.
Thanks
GMCPapa

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good luck, I seem to be stuck all the time. I have 4x4, G80, and fairly aggressive (though not mudders) off road tires.........I still wont leave the hardtop without another truck to throw me a tow strap.

·
Registered
733 Posts
ive never really had a problem with grass or gravel. a good a/t tire will help and airing it down will give you better contact with the ground. if thats not enough a front locker will really help out and make sure your rear end is locking up when spinning.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Hmmm, i would start with a good set of tires. I have had few if any problems in grass or gravel, in snow the truck is a tank, sand is ok but alot of axle wrap but i am not too impressed with it when it comes to mud. I have owned 2X4's that were for the most part better in mud than this truck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bfg All Terrains Will Solve Your Problems.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had the same problem with my factory tires. I recently bought a new set of Revo's (see sig). HUGE difference. No more traction problems, and they're much less noisy that factory to boot!

cheers & beers,
Chris

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Camp Ground Terain

I also had this annoying slippage.. have always had the MS Michelin Slippers
Great mileage 80k. After about 50% they would slip in the damp grass or fine gravel. So this past fall i purchased the AT2s And i love them. No mileage comparison's though. I'd love to take them out and kick-up some earth. I have read some post's that they are awesome up in Snow Country. Maybe some one could chime in and give us real time mileage quote's

·
Registered
907 Posts
The stock pizza cutter tires arent worth a ****. get a good set of A/t's and you will be fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would hate to sound like a salesman, but I can't believe the difference in traction with these new Dakota M/T's I just bought. I had Toyo A/T's and I've been stuck in snow and usually spun in the rain trying to take off while having to put it in 4x just to pull into traffic on a rainy day. With these new tires, I haven't even used 4x yet and it's been snowing like crazy around here! That is, if you can handle having a mud tire, as most complaints are from the road noise. It don't matter to me since I drive a noisy diesel and I don't have a muffler, I barely notice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do you mean when you have your trailer attached? When I had my travel trailer attached with the weight distribution hooked up I had the same problem so then I would take the weight distribution bars off when pulling in and out of campsites, makes it easier and gives you the tounge weight for traction.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The problemis occurring because of the torque these motors make and with any tuning it is worse. Espescially in the situations your talking about. A wider all terrian tire will help a little though>

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had same issue. Out in California City, my tires would spin in what looked like 2 inch of dirt with my tow behind trailer hooked up. I read some where here on the forum where another member had the issue and went with A/T tires. I upgraded mine from stock Bridgstone to Pirreli Scorpion A/T. Since then I don't recall ever having spinning issue, with or without trailer, rain or sunshine. However mileage took a 1mpg hit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If I can drive on the stock rubber into the oil leases I do, and off the highway into the snow to pull people out of the ditches, you guys need to work on your driving, rather then blame the equipment..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
First time member here. I need help with my traction problems. I own a 2005 GMC 2500HD D/A. The only problem I've expereinced with my truck is "traction" on gravel or wet grass.
I understand that a load in the bed of the truck will help but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions that cured this problem for them.
Thanks
GMCPapa

I'll send you my stabiltrak traction control, it sucks ass

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Thanks
GMCPapa
1st, the stock tire is a very hard compound for decreased rolling resistance and longer tread life. Secondly, the tread design has the outer tread pattern continuous, further handicapping it in most "sloppy" conditions. I replace all of the OEM tires with Hankook RF10, Jetzon Revenger A/t, or Yokohoma Geolander A/T-S tires. They all offer significantly improved traction and still run quiet and wear evenly.

Secondly, manually selecting 2nd gear in your truck engages the low traction mode, helping limit the torque.
LOW TRACTION MODEVehicles with the Allison transmission are
equipped with a Low Traction Mode that
aids in vehicle acceleration when road
conditions are slippery, such as ice or
snow. By selecting 2nd range using the
Range Selection system while at a stop,
the Allison transmission will limit torque
to the rear wheels after it sees wheel slip

to help prevent the tires from spinning.

Borrowed from here http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA5521EN.pdf , something most people never read, even though it's in the owner's manual portfolio.

·
Registered
221 Posts
1st, the stock tire is a very hard compound for decreased rolling resistance and longer tread life. Secondly, the tread design has the outer tread pattern continuous, further handicapping it in most "sloppy" conditions. I replace all of the OEM tires with Hankook RF10, Jetzon Revenger A/t, or Yokohoma Geolander A/T-S tires. They all offer significantly improved traction and still run quiet and wear evenly.

Secondly, manually selecting 2nd gear in your truck engages the low traction mode, helping limit the torque.

Borrowed from here http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA5521EN.pdf , something most people never read, even though it's in the owner's manual portfolio.
IIRC that feature is only on the 6 speed Ally, his truck is a 2005?

·
Registered
618 Posts

I was going to say. Mine don't have that. I don't have traction issues either with a/t's. But Low traction mode could be helpfull in some situations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts