Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to work on traction bars for our trucks. I have to keep in mind that these trucks are worked by some of you and played later. I want a set of bars that will work when needed and still be able to handle corners, tow, and be loaded for hauling and not interfere. I am aware how traction bars work, and have people like Ron Butler (Carrol Shelby's chassis man as a personal friend). He looked at the chassis and said snubber with a shock absorber. problem might be with fifth wheel applications as far as interference in mounting. is anybody interested if i decide to take on this project?

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I currently have traction problems, I just put it in 4WD. When I get enough power to have 4WD traction problems, I'll get an eLocker. If/when I have tractions problems after the eLocker, then I would be interested in traction bars.

My last truck was an F350 that had horrable wheel hop after my 4" pro-crap lift. For that truck, I was in serious need for some traction bars, but with the 2500HD, I just havn't had this problem.

I think your target market will be those with high lifts, doing hill climbs, or tractor pulls.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would be interested, but time is of an essence. I was planning on fabing my own this winter for the upcoming pulling season, but if some were done in a decent time frame i might be interested, pending on price.Later Jeremy

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amric

I am not interested in people doing hill climbs. I am not very interested in people that drag, although my idea will help them. My interest in everything i do or develop, or help develop is for the everyday guy that tows, hauls, and wants to play when the mood hits him. I want a Vette with a bed, with a diesel. I want a work truck that puts a mask on at night and boogies. I want people to say "who was that masked man?" err truck.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Mike,

I am in the same boat as Jeremy, I am going to need traction bars by April fro pulling season. Let me know what you get together, we will put them to the test for ya! Are you going to build a single bar design or a ladder bar type? I am interested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe the best thing you guys could build to accomplish all your goals with one item is a ladder bar set up with a shackle at the front. A system very much like the hot rod guys use. We use them on our rockcrawlers that are leaf sprung as well. You can kind of see what I am talking about in this picture under one of my jeeps. You will see the triangulated ladder bar that runs from the orange crossmember back to the rear axle. At the front, there is a shackle that pivots from the crossmember and is faced up and back at about a 75 from horizontal. At the axle, there is two points of contact about 8 inches apart. The more spread you get the better control you will get. This system with the shackle alows the suspension work free of bind and still stops teh axle wrap problem. If you like what I am showing you and want to know more, let me know, I can go into more detail as we have these on a bunch of vehicle that do both rockcrawling and truck pulling. If you think we don't put these things through there paces and know this system works, I broke the drives side rear leaf spring on this jeep about 20 yard up the trail from where this picture was taken.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am intrested in the traction bars as the axle wrap on the zf dmax is nasty keep us posted on your progress

1 - 9 of 9 Posts