Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, welded the ladder bars where we believe they should be and I take the truck down the road and its all over the place. With every bump I hit it seems like it the rear end jumps jumps 4 inches off the ground....whats wrong here????

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Sound like you have some major binding. There doesn't seem to be any or little suspension movement.

The ladder bars shouldn't be "fixed" at either end. There should be some kind of bushings or hiem joints connecting the bars to the frame and axle.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will try to take pictures...the rear of the traction bar is welded directly to the axel housing or tubes... and the front mounts are welded to the frame and I have bolts going through the mounts that are welded to the frame....

·
Registered
543 Posts
The rear should have bushings. Your axle has nowhere to go, so it's transfering all the impact up to the frame. Your rear axle needs to be able to independantly travel up and down. Welding the rear ladder arm to the axle is forcing it to turn as your axle articulates. The front bolt isn't giving thus transfering that articulation onto the frame, which isn't giving so the only way to go is up. Thats why every bump feels so harsh. I would cut the ladder arms from the rear and weld on mounts. Then install bushings and bolt it, like the front. For the front you could do the same, or use a heim.

Bushings can absorb alot of road vibration. Without them it is very noticable.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Those look like rod ends not bushings.
A proper trac bar will allow unrestricted axle movement.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Are those bars direct from Cognito with your lift? I have traction bars from Cognito that I got with my lift and I have the same problem with a rough ride. Mine are simple, just a straight bar going from the frame to underside of the rear. The front is all one piece, the bar is kinda like a T and the cross section bolts to the frame via a bracket. The rear is attached using 2 tabswelded to the rear and a threaded hiem on the bar. The more I think about it the more I think it is restricting axle movement.

This may be off topic, but I was planning on taking mine off before I sell my truck and putting them on my new duramax when I get it. I will not be lifting my new truck, I plan racing this one, will this type of bar be suited for what I will need, or should I just leave them on the truck and get a different type for the new truck? Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This may be off topic, but I was planning on taking mine off before I sell my truck and putting them on my new duramax when I get it. I will not be lifting my new truck, I plan racing this one, will this type of bar be suited for what I will need, or should I just leave them on the truck and get a different type for the new truck? Thanks.
You can read about your type of traction device here:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can you show me a pic of your front shackle?? Do you have any measurements???
OK picture 1 shows the shackle at 90 degree's to the ground.
Picture 2 shows the shackle with the truck jacked up on one side about 6". As you can see there is definitely movement. A solid front mount would bind the whole rear suspension when ever it traveled up or down. A heim end or Jonny joint also has to be used on the front to allow it to twist as well. The forth picture I uploaded is what I will be changing my set up to this summer. A teflon/kevlar lined self lubricating and sealed Heim with high misalignment bushings(these are the same ones I bought for my tie rod Kit that I am building-which is 90% done). I may also try to come up with a differant type of shackle that will allow some articulation on the top half as well. You got to remember, almost any traction device except a 4 link will limit flex/articulation to some degree.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Rear trailing arms should really be mounted parallel to the leaf springs. And the front mount should be parallel to the front spring hanger.This way the axle, leaf springs, and trailing arms all articulate on the same radius. No one does this because it doesn't "look cool".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts