Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to add this to an existing post but thought it might be better as a stand alone item. I ordered four tire pressure sensors for my travel trailer tires a little over a week ago and they were delivered yesterday. I took the tires off of the trailer, two and a time, and had the sensors installed at a local tire shop. Once all were installed, I hooked up the truck to the trailer pigtail and went through the learning process for the sensors. Everything went smoothly, the truck recognized each sensor location and couldn't have been much easier. I'm hoping that state parks and campgrounds will be opening here in Ohio by June 1st. or so. I'd really rather not miss this camping season because of Covid-19. We'll see how it goes!

For those that wonder about the utility of trailer tire monitoring, I had a trailer tire blow out in Iowa two years ago and did not know about it until another motorist pulled along side me and pointed back to the trailer. I pulled over and discovered the problem. There was some damage to the wheel well liner and a pretty good dent in the trailer siding from the blowout. There was a pretty wide berm but it was nerve wracking changing a driver side tire along an interstate highway. I probably could have avoided the blowout if I'd had a way to monitor the trailer tire pressures. I'm really a big fan of this truck and being able to monitor the trailer tires while towing is game changer. The peace of mind is worth a lot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't towed with it yet because of the lockdown - there's no place to go. But I can tell you that this truck is a winner! I picked it up on March 2nd. and I've been putting as many miles on it as I can to make sure I find any problems before I leave on a long trip. So far, Nothing. Fit, finish, everything is perfect. The ten speed trans is flawless in operation and gear changes are almost imperceptible. I bought a Banks iDash monitor primarily to see what gear the trans was in because GM doesn't include that feature. The iDash monitors many other functions that are handy to have and it will read and clear CEL codes, which make it a pretty good investment. I replaced a 2008 Silverado, also a Duramax, with this truck and as much as I liked that truck, this one is more in every way. I can't imagine anyone would ever be disappointed with one of these trucks.

2020 Silverado 4x6.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I just pulled the trigger and got the TST-507-RV-4-C tire monitoring kit for my 38' Keystone Montana 5th. wheel. I too had a horrible experience with a previous 5th wheel that had a tire de-laminate, and
IMG-1628.jpg
blow out on the Cajon Pass. At freeway speeds, it whipped around and tore up my fender assembly, causing $3500.00 in damage. Never again do I want to go through that, which happened only 20 minutes into the drive. I ordered it through etrailer.com. The cost was $325.00. It comes with a color screen monitor, 4 standard tire sensors, and signal booster relay.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I was going to add this to an existing post but thought it might be better as a stand alone item. I ordered four tire pressure sensors for my travel trailer tires a little over a week ago and they were delivered yesterday. I took the tires off of the trailer, two and a time, and had the sensors installed at a local tire shop. Once all were installed, I hooked up the truck to the trailer pigtail and went through the learning process for the sensors. Everything went smoothly, the truck recognized each sensor location and couldn't have been much easier. I'm hoping that state parks and campgrounds will be opening here in Ohio by June 1st. or so. I'd really rather not miss this camping season because of Covid-19. We'll see how it goes!

For those that wonder about the utility of trailer tire monitoring, I had a trailer tire blow out in Iowa two years ago and did not know about it until another motorist pulled along side me and pointed back to the trailer. I pulled over and discovered the problem. There was some damage to the wheel well liner and a pretty good dent in the trailer siding from the blowout. There was a pretty wide berm but it was nerve wracking changing a driver side tire along an interstate highway. I probably could have avoided the blowout if I'd had a way to monitor the trailer tire pressures. I'm really a big fan of this truck and being able to monitor the trailer tires while towing is game changer. The peace of mind is worth a lot.

I'm looking to add this to my RV here soon. I have a trip to NC coming up next month and would just like to monitor the trailer tires. Having it tied into the truck was a selling feature for me.

What size trailer do you have? I was told the sensors have a 20' range behind the truck. my axles should be within that on my 39' 5th. Also do you know if they can handle 110 psi?

Going to probably order them this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts