Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave in and bought a set of H2 wheels. I've got Dueller Revo 285/75/16's now and like them but they don't make it in a decent 17. Toyo and BFG both make A/T's in 285/70/17. Cooper makes a 33x12.5x17 in the S/T. I'm going to try and trade my Duellers(13K) in and get one of these. I do mostly highway but a bit of dirt and snow here in MT. Cognito leveling kit on the way. Any experience/opinions with these tires would help.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ive got a set of 265 BFG ATs on right now and theyre on their last leg. Im gonna wind up gettin around 40K out of em with a decent bit of heavy towing, lots of abuse, and i'll admit i havent rotated em like i probably should. Ive heard a lot of good things about the toyos but theyre not hardly as aggressive lookin. I'd really like to go back with a set of the BFGs if they werent so dang expensive. I dunno, i still might put em on there but who knows. If you can afford it, I'd reccomend the BFGs. Just my .02

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would go with the Cooper S/T. I have had them on my last two trucks, and they wear really good. So far I have about 25,000 miles on this set, and there is lots of tread left. I get a lot of compliments on how aggressive they look, and they are really popular back in my hometown. Another plus about the Cooper's is that they are a whole lat cheaper than all of the other brands out there.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I run the Cooper st and like them they are a tad louder than bfg but they seem to wear better for me

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably my only gripes w/ the Cooper S/T is they're a bit loud and I'm not sure the 33x12.5x17 will fit. I had them siped on my last Dodge and they were awesome in the snow and good in mud. I put 25K on them before I sold the Dodge and their wear was impressive, a lot better than I thought. Better in the snow, but not as good a highway ride as my Duellers, that's why I was considering the Toyo Open Country A/T 285/70/17.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw the Toyo MT's the other day and they look really nice. BOBD I don't know what part of the country you're in and if siping matters, but the Toyo MT's have a bit. The Coopers look awesome (real aggressive), they don't have the road manners for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The BFG's are a tried and true tire. They have a triple layer sidewall, which comes in handy if you get into some rough stuff. We have used the Mud Terrain versions on the farm for feeding trucks, and they have the same sidewall that the A/Ts have, and we overloaded them everyday in the winter with hay, and they never went flat one time. They are really durable and the A/T version wears pretty good if you keep them rotated. Had some on a 1/2 tonner and they did good.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I'm a die hard BFG fan who recently got a great deal on a set of Cooper Discoveries that I couldn't pass up. The BFG's rode a little harder but handled way better than the Coopers. The Coopers ride softer but tend to wander way more than the BFG's. I got about 75k miles out my last BFG All Terrains on my Jeep, no joke.

·
Banned
127 Posts
i love the bfg ko series, but i also like the open countries, and the s/t's. ur faced with a tough decision, and you can't go wrong either way. all three are a fine tire. the only thing that would sway me is appearance....i think the ko's look better on a truck in my opinion. good luck with your decision

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coopers al the way

I had 305 cooper st on my 1/2 ton and loved them. I live in eastern SD and snow and ice are a big deal. Towed a race car trailer 20k and then woke up and bought the Duramax, God gas guzzlers suck, I will never own another. By the way I hav 285 Copper SST on the max, Great tire.

Chad.:ro)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm thinking about the Nitto Terra A/T 295/70/17 also. Nice size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BFG's...period..willing to spend $$

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is guy up the street from me with a set of Toyos on 18s, looks awsome. I did not catch the tire size but Im thinking that they are not 10 ply tires, could be wrong. I cant imagine spending as much as we do on these high power HD trucks and putting a light set of rubber underneath, its not capable to do what it was designed for any more,
Does anyone know if Toyo makes a 10 ply tire?

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got a set of the bfg 285 for my h2 rims. So far I really like em. I also considered the Toyo's but discount tire couldn't do the toyo's as cheap as the bfg's. Plus I really wanted a true blackwall.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My family has 4 sets of 265/75-16 Cooper S/T's on different trucks in the fleet right now, and I'm not impressed. I think they're way noiser than comparable tires, and we're not seeing good wear at all on the GM trucks. I really don't feel it's a mechanical issue with the trucks, as other tires are wearing well on them.

I will say that they seem to have great offroad traction, but overall for the type of driving I do, I don't think I'd have a set.

That's just my opinion--others love the tires. YMMV!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my bfg's. I've got them on my 20's for the summer, and my 16's for the winter.
I think the toyo's look sweet too though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I quit replying to these awhile back. The same question just keeps coming up. I'm not going to harp about the search feature.

FYI, I own a set of Toyo O/C A/Ts, 325/70-17 on H2s. They aren't on my '06 yet; not until I get it lifted this spring. But why I have them is because on my '01 D/A, I ran them on my H2s with Open Country A/T 285/70-17s and they went well beyond 60,000 miles. They're quiet. They're cut resistant(if you run off road or on dirt roads that have sharp rocks, like here in Southeastern Montana). I always rotated them at the 5000 mile intervals when I did my other routine service work. I've had good luck with them and expect the same from this next set.

Now, where I work, Coopers are used exclusively as the only tire dealer here only carries Coopers. So we get his volumn discount. The company pickup I drive has S/Ts on and they are a bit noisy... but they're also studded. They get around in the muck, snow and mud pretty good, too. They are a bit soft, compound-wise. I suspect that without studs they might be a fair-to-good ice tire.

So there's my $.02 once again. Hope this helps you, and others.

CWB

·
Registered
274 Posts
:banghead: I had a set of BFG KOs and will never buy another set.

The BFGs wore out almost 3 times faster than the Toyo open country.
BFGs are an 8 ply tire, whereas the Toyos are a 10 ply tire.
BFGs are a D rated tire, Toyos are an E rated tire.
Toyos have deeper tread depth. and the A/Ts have a 40,000 mile tread ware warranty.
BFGs have no tread ware warranty.

I originally got the BFGs because I thought they had a more aggressive look than the Toyo Open country A/Ts. But since Toyo came out with the M/Ts I am never going back. Now I have the best of both worlds.
The open country M/Ts are still unbelievably quiet too, Only slightly louder than the BFG KO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts