Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody tow a boat/car behind their 5th wheel/travel trailer,I had a truck camper but need more space now. If you do, what hitch setup do you have on your trailer? Any thing you would have done different now?Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My dad tows his 19' Glastron behind his fifth wheel. He built his own custom hitch for the trailer, so I can't give any suggestions about the hitch. One thing I will caution you on is make sure the tongue weight isn't too heavy on the boat trailer or it won't tow very good. (Read no single axle boat trailers.) I would also strongly recommend electric brakes on both axles of the boat trailer. I would also recommend a quick call to your local DMV or a quick web seach to find out about maximum length requirements or licence restrictions for your state when towing double.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Also, make sure the 5er's bumper/frame can handle the weight of the boat/trailer...might take a call the the manufacturer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lippert industries makes many of the frames used in the fifth wheel industry. From what I have learned on other forums, they are uniformly oppossed to any kind of rear hitch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many states will not allow double towing and also you can not put regular electric brakes on a boat trailer. Water and electricity do not mix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you that replied to my post, I think I may look at truck campers again!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Many states will not allow double towing and also you can not put regular electric brakes on a boat trailer. Water and electricity do not mix.
Actually the brake magnets are sealed and electric brakes work fine in water. If they didn't, you could loose brakes in a rain storm. I have had electric brakes on a boat trailer for 7 years with no problems.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Actually the brake magnets are sealed and electric brakes work fine in water. If they didn't, you could loose brakes in a rain storm. I have had electric brakes on a boat trailer for 7 years with no problems.
What he said, But you should always unplug your wiring before backing the trailer in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fresh water isn't a problem for electric brakes. Salt water applications usually require a surge brake system... even then brake failures over time due to corrosion issues are common. My $0.02...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts