Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here tow a 9-12,000 lb tag trailer with a lift kit? Is this a problem?

Blaine

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not smart, or safe.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
If you do it just make sure you get the proper length drop hitch. Make sure it is rated at the correct load. Also make sure your truck nose is not to far up in the air compared to the rear. An original Silverado is designed to sit level when under load. A little ass high when unloaded. Get some air bags if needed. Some lifts are pretty soft in the rear and squat way to much to be safe. It just changes the weight distribution around to much. Also do us all a favor and get your headlights realigned. Nothing a little tuning can't fix.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neverenuf said:
Not smart, or safe.

Please elaborate. If you have detailed information and/or experiences, I want to know. If it's just an opinion--which is okay as well, then please tell me why that opinion is the correct one.

Stock trucks do not have enough wheel well clerance to run 285s on 16x8s--like I have--and they do not have adequate clearance even with the torsion bars raised 2"--like I have done. I have also re-formed the inner fender liners and tied back the parking brake cable. I am not terribly excited about having raised the torsion bars, though I did do it with specially designed keys and the ride is excellent. I get rubbing when braking through a "dip" and turning the wheel. I might be able to get clearance by rolling back the inside aft corner of the fenders. That is where my clearance is lacking--it's about 3/4". There is no way I can run chains.

I have plenty of clearance on the front side of the wheel wells since I have a Frontier full front end replacement.

What gets me is a stock truck with 245s has about the same clearance as mine. This limited wheel well space is a bad idea from GM.

I am looking at getting the Rancho 4" kit. 4" will provide proper clearance and isn't that tall of a lift. The lift companies say it's fine to tow lifted as do the RV places. However, I want to know what the actual experiences of others are when towing a tag with such a lift.

Blaine

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bronco,

Thanks. Have you towed with a lifted rig? How is the stability?

Blaine

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I have not. I do have many friends that have. Dual shocks is a huge helper. Sway bars and over load springs. You just need to incorporate some of the safety items into your new set up.

·
Registered
457 Posts
afp1 said:
neverenuf said:
Not smart, or safe.
Please elaborate. If you have detailed information and/or experiences, I want to know. If it's just an opinion--which is okay as well, then please tell me why that opinion is the correct one.
Exactly! I have towed using my lifted truck and while I don't currently own a HD or tow 9,000 lbs it can be done safely. It just takes a little extra preperation on a lifted truck. How much extra prep is determined by how big a lift you run. Running the 4" Rancho and 33s or 35s isn't that much different from stock, just need the proper drop hitch. A 6" lift is similar although some guys choose to run 35s or 37s. In this case I would suggest a set of replacement rear springs, or air bags or possibly both. Again the propoer drop hitch is required. Anything larger and again springs combined with air bags are best. In some cases a set of support bars for the drop hitch may be required. No matter what gears are highly recommended when towing with a lifted truck. They make all the difference in the world!

The proof is in the pudding!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I wish that was mine!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Towing a load like that with anything under a 6 inch lift is more than fine as long as you make sure to adresst he issues others have mentioned such as proper drop hitch, rear spring sag, lengthen your break-away chains, etc. I tow my dad's 30 foot Weekend Warrior with a 2,000 pound dune buggy in it plus gass, tools, etc. adding up to close to 10,000 pounds and I feel more than comfortable with it.

I dunno what kind of destinations you tow too but we tow to the desert, and with a 14 bolt and stock height you don't have much room for your tires to dig before your resting your rear end in the dirt.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thanks!

y2kboti,

Did you get the PM I sent you? Athough I see now the pics of the DMax w/Rancho isn't your truck, can you get me in touch with the truck's owner?

Blaine

·
Registered
457 Posts
apf I got it but not sure what truck you are talking about. If you post a picture I'll try and point you in tbe right direction.

·
Registered
617 Posts
AFP1

Do a search with for my name and you'll see I've already talked myself out. Let me look around for the picture of my buddy's lifted Silverado that killed him. Tail wagged the dog, front tire off road, over she went, flat his head became.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you really want a solution to the 285's rubbing, do what I did and go to 265's. The D/A tows like sh*t with 285's, they are too tall. I know the 265's don't look near as good, but you won't rub and your D/A will love you for it. The 16x8 rims work good with the 265s also.
Edited by: neverenuf

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the Jucie Attitude, my 285s are not a problem. I can spin them in third gear if I am so inclined.....................

However, if I can't come to a satisfactory solution with the lift, then going back to 265s is something I have considered. Like you said, I'll bet they are great on 8 inch rims. I wonder if I can spin 265s in 4th gear.................

·
Registered
915 Posts
The duramax will pull my 9 inch lift and 39's just fine with no load (14.18 quarter) Add 8 to 10,000 to it and it has no power and does wag a lot... 35's did the same.. I blame most of this to having stock gearing.. I'm no newbie to towing, so trust me.. It will do it, though it won't do it well or safely at highway speeds (75 plus)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Morse when towing a load like that you shouldn't be going 75 plus anyways. I admit I don't stick to 55 either but rarely anything over 70. What do you think becomes unsafe about it? I admit that with a higher center of gravity it is easier to roll, but with the added rubber on the ground and trailer brakes working properly I feel pretty confident. When my dad used to tow with his 1/2 ton suburban it felt like the rear wheels were just floating along and would wag alot but with his 02 3/4 ton he doesn't have an issue and towing with my truck doesn't feel any different than that. Maybe im just lucky and my set-up is working exceptionally well. We run 1400 pd. bars (WDH), single sway control, and but run prodigy brake controlers.

You guys are starting to make me worry a bit. If anyone else wants to chime in about their experiences with lifted trucks good and bad please do I would like to hear!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Well I had a 2500HD CC and it had a 12" lift and 38.5 Parnelli Jones tires on it and I use to pull a 31' Cigarette Bullet with it and it was not a problem at all. Had a custom made drop down hitch and it pulled like a dream on the highway even at 80mph. I think if you have the right setup you can pull anything and if you are going to pull heavy stuff then you need to think about that in advance before doing all that stuff to your truck or be prepared to slow down some for safety, yours and others on the road.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I really like my duramax.. I just know with stock gearing, large tires, and the duramax your truck isn't going to run away with a heavy trailer.. That's just the way it is.. My truck isn't exactly slow empty (14.18), though a load absolutely kills it.. My old powerstroke didn't experience the drastic change when towing the same trailer.. I use load levelers and great breaks.. As far as wag, it's not determined strictly by tire surface on the road.. It's sidewall height and stiffness.. As far as driving speed, I drive only as fast as I feel safe.. 75 is nothing on I-75.. I'm just giving actual info from my personal vehicle.. The duramax is just "tire sensitive" with factory gearing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts