Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys tow with your Dmax? Any problems? Mileage? I tow a 36' 16,500lb 5th wheel travel trailer and no problems to date, 32,000 miles. Stock except for 285 BFG's, which are too big to tow that kind of weight and soon to be history, and Air Lift Super Duty bags. Average fuel mileage with 265 BFG's 17-18mpg unloaded and average 13mpg towing. With the 285 BFG's....about 10mpg towing and the Dmax screaming "NO MORE,
it hurts oh God it hurts".....

·
Registered
328 Posts
I tow a 30 ft. 5th wheel that weigh's out at about 10300lbs loaded with an 03 3500 C.C. D/A Dually.

I only have 4700 miles on it and have not had a chance to check milage towing yet.

But I do know I have plenty of TRUCK now to do what I want.

I had a 2500 HD 6.0 liter that towed my 5th fine but came up short on loading the bed with extras.

Sure glad I made this move.The stability of the duallys, The power of the duramax and allison
My wife and I both feel better on the road now and worry less about carring extra stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
neberenuf,

I tow a 30' Cardinal Fifth Wheel on FLAT highways down here in southern Louisiana and get around 11mpg. The DMAX will avg. about 17.1 city/hwy., 22-23 running 70 on I-10. What I love about it is the awesome pulling power and the grade-braking feature of the Allison. That tranny is smarter than most people.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We tow a 36 ft 12000# fifth wheel trailer (Carriage Cameo 34CK3). Have been getting about 11-13 mpg towing (much up an down good size grades). Our 2500 is totally stock including the 245 tires. Only have towed about 3k miles of the 12k. Tow haul has been impressive going down hills. I occasionally wish for a little more power when going up. Currently considering a x-mas present from Quadzilla.

·
Registered
403 Posts
We tow a 30' nomad fifth wheel, 9,900 lbs dry wieght. Across the scales with 4 kids, full tanks, and all our stuff 19,100 lbs. I wouldn't pull this trailer with anything less than this truck.

This truck can really pull, even when its just stock.
Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
612 Posts
We tow several different trailers, the largest of which is a 33' Travel Trailer that weighs something over 10,000 lbs. 48,000+ on the truck, 7,000+ miles on the travel trailer, Hot Juice set on level 1, worst tank mpg was 9.5 pulling into a South Dakota head wind, usually can count on 11-13 mpg towing at 63-65 mph, 15-17 daily driving 17+ on a trip.... no engine/transmission issues to date

JimEdited by: JEBar

·
Registered
616 Posts
I tow a 31 ft Blaze'n Toy Box Travel trailer that weighs about 10k lbs when loaded with 2 Polaris 700 ATV's and our gear. Get about 10-11 mpg towing at 65-70 mph. I love the extra power that the Banks Stinger Kit has given me. I know there are lots of power products that make more power, but the whole kit idea made my mind up. I'm not into drag racing or dyno bragging rights, just wanted a little extra oo(mph) going up the hills...and it does a great job doing that. We had an identical truck with a 6.0 gasser and it just didn't live up to the task. 5.5mpg and the ability to go only 10 mph up high mtn passes was the nail in the coughin for that truck. These trucks rule!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
We tow a 30' 5th wheel (9000lbs) 65 -70 mph 13 mpg.

Bartman, I just got my Stinger Kit and I was wonderin' did you notice what your boost pressure is runnin' solo? Banks tech says I won't notice the gains until the top end (underload - with trailer). Just like to know your thoughts.

JP

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The amount of boost you see depends on how you have your wastegate actuator set. originally mine was at about 32, but i dialed it down to about 28 max...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see I am getting a little better fuel mileage than most while towing, even with a heavier weight. The 16,500lbs is by the scales loaded, she weighs 13,200lbs unloaded. I find I get the best mileage while towing to be about 78mph. The numbers listed are mostly I-10 to Phoenix (pretty flat) to I-15 to Las Vegas. On the other hand I have never seen over 19mpg like some have.
I have also seen as poor as 6mpg with the 285's going from Reno to Las Vegas with a 30-50mph headwind. That was terrible, it actually stayed in third gear downhill just to keep 65mph in that headwind. I have an '02 which doesn't have the fuel computer so I do it the old fashioned way. Oh yea, I also have a K&N air filter. Thanks all. Edited by: neverenuf

·
Registered
192 Posts
neverenuf: are you taking in to acount the tire size difference? I have 305's on mine and the speedo is waaay off. So it shows to get bad milage while it is actually doing ok.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tow a 34' Carriage LS which is about 14,000 lb. loaded. With 19.5 tires and the VA Smart Box on the 90hp setting I get around 10-13 mpg depending on wind and terrain. Have not had any problems on hills , most go up at 60 in 4th direct at 2500rpm and 850 deg. pyro. with the cruise on. Most hills on the Interstates it handles in overdrive unless they are real steep.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It's interesting to see a lot of 13 mpg. I tow a 17' enclosed sled trailer that runs 4K to 5K loaded but is 8.5' wide and tall. I get 13.0 to 13.5 at 70 mph. It seems the weight is secondary to all the air we're pushing. Anybody tow a heavy load that isn't higher than the cab?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The towing I have done is with a 27' Jayco 5er. Got 10.5 mostly up hill and about 12 on the return trip. Included the long 6%+ grade on I80 east of Salt Lake. Just sold Jayco and purchased 30' Sunnybrook 5er. Only tow was to get it home.

Made a trip from Utah to Seattle a couple of weeks ago. Ave about 70mph and DIC indicated the trip at 18.9. This was with cold weather fuel.

Stock except for Amsoil air filter and dual bypass oil filter.

Sure luv this truck. Plan on 300K+ miles

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Diesel Power,

I haven't towed since the install of the Banks stuff, but I have tried like crazy to get in the mid twenties (boost). Best I can do, up a hill in Tow/Haul is about 20lbs. Maybe I should just pull it down into 2nd gear and try it. I dunno, If I'm not much above 19lbs I'm as good as stock I'm guessin'. Sure thought this would be a power increase across the board. Am I wrong in my expectations?

JP

·
Registered
616 Posts
Heartbeathauler,

The best I get unloaded on the boost gauge is about 18-19 PSI, however, under load, I get it up to about 24-25. You can adjust the linkage for more boost if you think you need more.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Me thinks that pulling the 5th wheel no matter what the weight, we are ultimately pushing alot of air. I average 11-12 with the 5'er. Pulling a much heavier Bobcat on the tongue, I average about 14.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here you go - average about 12 mpg when towing with a trailer weight of about 7,000 lbs. Pretty easy for the Duramax.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Thanks Bartman. That's whatI was looking for. My boost is right there with yours unloaded. I will see if I get the 23 -24 lbs next time I tow.

JP

·
Registered
410 Posts
We are pulling 28 feet of jayco 5r weighing 9000. The truck doesnt even acknowlege 6-8% grades in Vermont this summer. It gets me in trouble even towing! Clearing the tops of hills too fast. Only 5900 miles got 11.5 on a 300 mile trip down from Acadia National Park this fall...upwards to 22 -23 solo..Havin' some fun NOW

1 - 20 of 31 Posts