Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I'm new to the forum and getting ready to take the plunge into DuraMax land. I have a question regarding towing a fairly heavy load with tires with only a D load rating. I'm wanting to upgrade right off the bat to BFG All-Terrain T/A 285/75/16 tires. The upgrade will be solely for looks but I don't want to sacrifice saftey or premature tire wear for it. I pull a 10,500# boat probably 7-9 times a year on anywhere from a 200 to a 800 trip. I noticed that the max load for this tire is 3305 lbs. at 65psi. This irronically is a higher rating than the standard sized 245/75/16 e rated tire that comes standard on the truck which is rated at 3042 at 80psi. So I'm a little confused. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
If you want to keep the published load rating you need to make sure your rim width is within reccomended specs. The 285 really needs a 8 to 9.5 inch wide rim. ( not the factory 6.5").The D tire will always have less ply (layers) than an E tire. The reason you still get a good load rating with a D 285 is because the tire is bigger and wider and can disperse the same amount of weight out over a larger area. If you found a 285 Load E, the load rating would be huge.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree with bronco, 285's are fine on the stock rims for looks, but if your going to be hauling, I'd make sure you are in spec for the rim width if you want to approach the load rating of the tires to be safe.

My .02

Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
I run BFG 285's and tow to the max rating. I run Eagle Alloys, which are 8.5" wide and have a weight rating of 3400lbs a piece. They are also only about $100 a piece.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I had the 285/75 BFG AT on stock aluminum wheels and wore them out (about 35,000 miles).

No trouble and I tow 10-15,000# a fair amount, the 3 ply sidewall BFG tow better than stock because of less side to side movement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts