Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I registered my truck here in SC, (resident of TX) they asked how much I was going to tow. I told them I had no idea. They said they needed to know because it would effect how much my license plate cost per year. On my registration they put 10,000lbs and that the truck weighs 6800 empty. Does that mean I can only tow 3200lbs? Or does that mean my truck and trailer together can only weigh 10k? I drove my truck on the scales with my open car hauler and a full tank of fuel and weighed 10k. So what can I pull legally?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You will want to hear from someone in SC.

In Missouri that is how it works. Your truck plate wt is combined wt of truck and trailer. I don’t see it enforced much, but I think it is something the DOT could get you on if they wanted.

·
Registered
924 Posts
we pay a straight valorem tax of the truck.mine is $475.82.Its paid once a year.And the valorem tax goes down the older the truck gets.Its not the weight of the truck here.

·
Registered
165 Posts
not sure about SC but here in NC that means that your truck and cargo be it trailer or not can not exeed 10,000 lbs. I had to get a tag good for 18,000lbs just to cover the gear, jeep and trailer. I'd check with SC DMV online. or call the local DMV office, as they are the ones that will be writting the tickets.
Todd

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will call. I know I paid $100 for my tags for 10k and they said if I wanted 20k it would be $200.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I renewed my registration yesterday. 19000 lbs. $295.60.
Thank you NC, may I have another?

·
Registered
158 Posts
when I registred my truck in Beaufort, SC, they just wanted to know the gross veh weight of the truck, not the combined gross. (form 400) Maybe something has changed. I only paid $18 (tag price, no taxes for me) :):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts