Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 285/75/16's on my 98K3500. Minor torsion bar adjust and bumper trim. I hooked up to our trailer with a bobcat on it. At approx. 30mph in 4HI I got a very bad vibration and steering wheel shake. I have not been able to duplicate this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Does it do it in 2h???? YOU shouldnt be able to put too much pin weight w/a goodsenck and bob cat to get the fron end up in the air.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah, I have an idea. I just experienced a similar thing yesterday. My story, short version, is I switched to Putnam XDR from stock hitch. And got a new hitch mount and ball, unfortunately the new combination sits a little higher than original. So now my flatbed tandem 17 ft car trailer pulls a little nose high. So I just completed 560 miles of towing a BMW 323 on the highway at speeds up to 70 mph. I noticed a vibration right around 65. Funny, smooth as silk at any speed (reasonable speed that is) when not towing. So not the truck. Got home and noticed the driver side rear tire on the trailer is completely worn on the inside 1/3 of the tread. Rest of all the other tires are fine. I'm guessing the change in "attitude" somehow changed the tandem wheel alignment to make that tire wear so badly, and once worn, out of balance which transferred the shaking through the truck. I could feel the shake in the seat, not in the steering, as if a rear tire was out of balance, but like I said, it wasn't the truck.
So, maybe changing the way your trailer tows has made your trailer tire wear rapidly and get so out of balance you feel it. Go check your trailer tires.
Now for me, I need to determine if I'm correct with my hypothesis. If so, I need to buy a new drop mount to get that trailer level, and a new tire (I don't cut corners and take chances.)
Good luck with your problem.
Open to opinions regarding mine.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts