Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most mild mannered upgradeable programmer made for towing and hopefully more mpg? And what is the approx cost. Someone has told me the Bully Dog pup would be a good choice. Don't want to install any additional gauges. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I doubt you will find anyone that will recommend a power upgrade (tuner or box) without gauges. I wouldn't recommend it either...it's too easy to get those EGT's up there were they shouldn't be ...even running the lowest setting, a 50 or 70 hp increase on a long climb can result in EGT's where you better be backing out of it ...

I run the Juice 90 on level 2 a lot when towing but can't keep my foot in it on long climbs due to high EGT's ... and that's with a 4" exhaust, AFE intake, etc. The Juice is great for towing as well are other tuners ...but I would consider gauges a must regardless of what tuner/box you end up going with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is on a c4500 which has larger radiator and exhaust and so on,does that make a difference?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Transmission ??

EGT'S are EGT's ..... Running a 4500 I have to assume commercially your working daily .... G A U G E S or Attitude or TST which have provisions built in for monitoring with high limit cutoff ......

Be safe .....

Mac

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it is not driven daily it is my tow vechicle for my 38' fifth wheel. It has the the Allison tranny. The radiator holds about 6 quarts more coolant than the 3500. Just want a little extra and hopefully pick up some MPG!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts