Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have 3 draft horses one is 17 hands about 1600 pounds,the next is 18 hands tall about 1800 pounds,and the last one is 20 hands tall and about 2400 pounds. the trailer is about 4200 pounds. we trail ride these big horses and we like to trailer to different parks.
so my question is can i drive down the highway with the overdrive on a good straight flat section or do i have to keep the tow/haul mode on?
this is my first duramax and i love the truck but i dont want to hurt her.

02 cc/sb/lt 4+4

thanks,jeff

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Hey Jeff--- Tow/Haul doesnt actually "disable" overdrive so to speak. It simply makes the engine shift into the next gear at a higher rpm to avoid lugging the engien. It also locks the torque converter in 2nd gear at 25 mph for more positive towing power, versus 5th gear, 55 mph when not in Tow/haul mode. Finally, the nicest feature of all is the Allison "grade braking". When in T/H mode, the transmission will downshift as soon as you touch the brakes, so it greatly helps slow down heavy trailers without riding the brakes. You'll definelty notice it coming down steep hills. The Allison ill downshift right thru the gears all the way to down to 2nd gear and you wont even have to hold your foot on teh brake, because the downshifting uses the engine for braking. Its really a nice feature. SO...the truck will still shift into overdrive with t/h on, but it will just shift into it at a higher rpm, and it also stops the transmission from "hunting" for gears when going up steep grades. When you're towing, just leave the gear selector in "D", and put "Tow/Haul" mode ON. Then just leave it alone and let the transmission do the work. The Allison TCM (trans control module) is very smart and especially when towing, it does a great job selecting gears. Hope that helps...welcome tot he deisel place!

--Ben

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jeff, Ben answered your question very well but I have a couple of questions of my own for you.

How the heck do you get on a 20 hands tall horse? You must need a three step stool to get up there, that's a monster. Can you walk after riding it, it's got to almost be like doing the splits the whole time you're up there. ;) I'd think you would almost need a crane to get the saddle up there too. What kind of trailer are you using? While I'm asking too many questions I'll ask even more. What breed of draft horses do you have and can you post some pictures? I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it a real pain in the @$$ on top of a 20 hand horse,let see when im around the barn at home i get on top of the round bail feeder to get on the saddle.when we are the county parks i use the out door grills,lol
or the fender on side of the trailer.or if we are deep in the woods and we get off the horses i look for a stump. i even used guard rails too.
actually if you get a chance to ride a draft go for it.the draft has one of the most smoothest rides. its like riding on a big lazy boy.you would think you would be doing the splits but it is actually very comfortable.
i get the looks when people see me riding by them they move out of the way.he is a very big boy and a very good natured horse too.
the world record right now is 21 hands which is 4 inches taller.
yea the saddle sits way the up there i need to put a beacon on the saddle horn,lol.
20 hands is about 6`5 -`6`6 at the withers.
my horse (mark) is a belgian. no i didnt name him that was his name when i bought him so we decided to keep his name that way he knows it quiet well.
we use a stock trailer to haul these big guys around he feels a little cramped as the ceiling is 7`6 but its not to bad.
i should take a router and cut open a hole in the roof and get him some harley googles that would be a site.ha ha ha.
yes let me round up some photos and i will try to post some pics for ya.
thanks,ben and cg.,jeff

·
Registered
498 Posts
VMAX,

What breed? My g-father had Percherons (team) he showed at the '67 World Fair in Montreal. Each rode in its own semi truck when he transported them. Only had 3 speed. Back/stop/slow.....but could pull a D6 Cat.

RF

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
belgian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im tryung to upload a picture but i dont know how so im trying to figure out any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree that riding a large horse is wonderful, but a tall mule is even sweeter. I had a big mule that was about 17 hands and he was a dream to ride. The nicest thing is not having your boots dragging on rocks or catching sage brush.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one of my horses is on my avatar he is the 20 hand horse.
i will get more pictures as soon as i figure how i did it,lol.....

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
To upload pictures,
After you click on the reply button, scroll down to "Additional Options".
There you will see a section "Attach Files" with a button labeled "Manage Attachments"
Click on "Manage Attachments" and a new window should open.
........NOTE: Read the file size restrictions at the bottom of this window.
Click on the "Browse" button and a "File Upload" window will open.
Navigate to the directory on your computer where the picture resides and click on it. Then click on "Open"
If you are uploading more than one picture, got to the next field in the "Manage Attachments" window and repeat.
Click on "Upload" when you're ready to upload your pictures
When you are ready, click on "Submit Reply" to enter your reply with pictures.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i would say around 120.00 a month in feed.in the winter months about 1 1/2 -2 bales of hay a day in the winter thats for 3 horses.summer time they just usually graze on the summer grass and we have little bit of timothy and alfalfa and clover in the grass.
i get my hay for free i help bale a 50 acre pasture and my friend pays me in hay so all works out well....

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Have you got any pictures of one saddled up and someone up? Just for size reference :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts