Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find the exact answer that I was looking for so I am asking you now. I need a good set of shocks for my dually. I was wondering what are the best I can get for towing and I also like to drag race but towing is the most important. Would an adjustable one that has an in cab controller be what I want or will a non adjusting one be good for everything. I know that I wont adjust ones that have to be done manually I am too lazy to do it every day . Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why not use the air bags with in cab controls?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i know rancho 9000 are adjustable and you can get a in cab adjusting

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not use the air bags with in cab controls?
I had some but didn't make much difference my main reason is for wanting shocks is while towing, I am getting excessive bouncing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought towing and load leveling were the main reason for the air bags. I couldn't imagine a shock that would be more adjustable than an air bag. 10 lbs to 120lbs adjustable and you still get bounce? Is the weight of the trailer balanced properly? Just my $0.02

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that air bags function like shocks from my experience, air bags are more like springs. I think it is partially the trailer, it is a 35' gooseneck that I tow about 20000 lbs excluding the trailer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
air shocks is my opinion. my brother has a 2001 2500HD 4x4 that we put a set on. we just modified a set off my 2000 obs 2500 HD 4x4 by trimming the mounting tabs used on the 88-2000 chevys, then the upper mounting bolts slid in. the shocks are made by gabriel and run anywhere from $55-70 with a lifetime warranty. they adjust with air from an air tank, filler valve, or gabriel makes a in cab gauge and switch kit that adjust from 0-220psi. they will also lift the rear anywhere from 1-4" to compensate for weight. if you are interested in using some on the front like my brother did, air shocks from a 67-69 camaro bolt on the front, and can also be controlled by the in cab controller. by the way, both trucks have 4" suspension lifts with 3" body lifts, and have not had a problem over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same problem, I have bags and put bilstien 5100's all the way around. I was thinking my problem was not only a very heavy trailer and 2k of toung weight but I installed green keys to level the truck. When I get a chance the keys are being pulled and a real lift is going on... About the bags, they do a great job for ride quality and leveling the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts