Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading these posts for a while now trying to decide which way to go on a module. I have a 10,000 lb 5th wheel toybox and with my Harleys in the back it pushes 12,000 lbs. My stock '02 Dmax can handle it but it would be nice to have a little more pulling power. I had about decided on a Juice/Attitude and a 4" SS exhaust with a stage 2 AFE intake but now I'm confused again. Kennedy mentioned the Banks 6 Gun being best in low end torque. I'm starting to think the Banks package might be what I need. I've also seen some posts about these filters allowing dirt in. I wonder if I even need to change. I don't race my truck...but power is nice. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, LT

·
Registered
393 Posts
you can never go wrong with banks and there stuff, as far as filteration as concerend, it is a good idea. I mean by adding a cold air box of some sort you are keeping your egts nice an low. with the module you are getting the fuel to make power, but if you have no air to drive the turbo and make good use of your new found fuel, then you aren't getting all of the potential of the module. air fuel ratios are key, even on a diesel!!

later and good luck

DEREK

·
Registered
616 Posts
lemontree, I have a banks stinger TLC kit on my truck and it makes a noticable difference on hills. I pull a toy hauler that weighs about 10500 lbs when loaded and it will pull the hills a lot better than stock. I do not have an intake kit yet and not sure that I will, but I can whole-heartedly recommend the Banks stuff for towing. If you get the six gun, it will probably do even better than the stinger kit. You can a six-gun bundle direct form banks or any one of their distributors. They have excellent customer service as well. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
There's is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on these days so do the research well and go with what you think will best fit your needs. If you research the data that is on this site you will find pretty much what you need to know, as to what's proven in the field and what's not.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The Banks did fare best, BUT this is using a non tow rated level. I don't know how the Allison will handle that kind of torque, OR if you could ever get there.

The purpose of my testing was to prove/disprove the claims, and shape of the curves presented by Banks. In all honesty, I did not expect it to do what it did.

Going up (accellerating) the Juice or Smart Box E have much better curves than the Banks. Coming down, the Banks has a unique curve that will DEFINITELY work with a manual transmission that can control the gear selection.

Also bear in mind that this dyno testing is performed at 100% pedal position which is only part of the story...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lemontree,

We have the same truck, same tire size, and about the same trailer weight towing. The good news is there are several options available to you. I've used a Predator, Quad Stealth, and TTS tuner and though they all have thier pros and cons, each did a pretty decent job of getting my toy hauler over the mountains and into the desert.

Search these forums and you'll find plenty of valuable discussions on towing performance.

Stay tuned to Kennedy's posts as I think he's going to do some additional load-cell dyno testing of different tuners that may be the most relevant measure of towing performance that we've seen yet.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would go with the Six-Gun for towing 10000lbs. Even in an auto it seems like it would be the best choice. It loves to get pulled down.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with scotty, I am running the six-gun w/SL and love the extra power.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I think that if you go with the Banks you will be very happy until you try anything else. I have not tried the Banks, but I do know how to read and understand what I read.

I have their exhause, and am very happy with it. But when it comes to programing. I believe that there are at least a dozen others that would out perform the 6-Gun in the real world. And that is where I live most of the time.

Remember with a diesel the power is just begging to be released. In other words any company that build programers can get 50+ rwhp and that is very noticible. Most gas engines would have a very hard time making 50 rwhp regardless what is claimed.

As stated above, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors around here.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
hdmax said:
I think that if you go with the Banks you will be very happy until you try anything else. I have not tried the Banks, but I do know how to read and understand what I read.

I have their exhause, and am very happy with it. But when it comes to programing. I believe that there are at least a dozen others that would out perform the 6-Gun in the real world. And that is where I live most of the time.

Remember with a diesel the power is just begging to be released. In other words any company that build programers can get 50+ rwhp and that is very noticible. Most gas engines would have a very hard time making 50 rwhp regardless what is claimed.

Agreed

I'll add though that it is a solid unit, just a bit over rated (155HP claim) when compared to others on the market. Others are using peak to peak where Banks used max gain. It is a very clean running unit that produces power levels around 340-350RW and decent torque as well. It's quite a bit less responsive to pedal input, but then again, it is extremely clean running.

Horses for courses...

Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward the Juice/Attitude w/ 4" Magnaflow and Stage 2 AFE w/ Pro-Guard. Mostly because of the $$$$. Got some feelers out there for a package price. I do like what I'm reading on this combo. Just wish it had a way to eliminate the speed limiter and correct for tire size. I hate to buy another device just to accomplish it. Will let you know how it goes...really looking forward to the power. Two of my friends have Ford 6.0's. Looking forward to the looks on their faces!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts