Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a real quick question regarding towing a 30ft. travel trailer in the snow and or ice. Should I bother with putting chains on the truck or should I just be ok with taking it easy? We are planning to go up sledding Saturday, so I hope to get some replies soon... Thanks.:)

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Most likely you won't need chains.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
As long as the truck weighs more than the trailer it's easy..

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we scaled the truck and the trailer the truck front axle weighed 4400 the rear axle weighed 4500 and the trailer weighed 9000.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just dont let it pass you going downhill is what I meant to say...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Well I can tell you there's no guarantees, and nothing is easy pulling a trailer on bad roads in my book.

I guess all the advice I can offer is slow down, don't get in a hurry. Chains are great to have, but chances are you won't need them on the pavement. I'm really not sure chains would have done anything for me when I wrecked in December. It was just that slick out!

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So Coyote, how are your repairs coming along? Are you getting the trailer repaired, too. Someone there in BozeAngeles doing the work? I've been on that stretch of I-25 in a winter storm and can vouch for the ice factor... wicked and nasty!
Good Luck!

BTW, didn't you do some yardwork/landscaping in Bozeman last summer?

CWB

·
Registered
982 Posts
Coyote, cottonwood must want to know really bad!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Whatch The Down Shift In Tow Haul It Could Lock Up The Tires

·
Registered
663 Posts
Coyote, cottonwood must want to know really bad!
Sheesh! I thought I got the duplicate posts deleted. I guess not.:think: :shootself

Well, anyway, sorry for the hijack on the thread.

CWB

On edit: Got the Dups deleted. I feel sooo much better, now...

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the trailer starts to push you, use the manual brake lever for the trailer to get the rig straight again. I have had to do this a couple of times coming down steep icy roads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Go slow, no sudden moves! A word of advice, bigger trailer, run studs on truck. They will work to restrict some of the "pushing" you will get from the haul.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Watch it using the grade brake on the tranny,may lock up the tires.I know I never used the jake brake driving a tuck and going downhill when it was slick..

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
LOL @ CWB! There's only one post now...you've been forgiven.):h

Looking back at it, if I had applied just the right pressure to the brake controller manually, it might have straightened me out--I'm really not sure.

Hindsight is always 20/20--when the **** hits the fan, I honestly don't think of all the technical details, I tend to do what seems logical.

I tried to steer out of it and then broke loose in the other direction. The guy in the semi that nearly hit us may have saved his rig with trailer brakes--I'm just not sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts