Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for some new tires after 44k with my 245 Bridgestone OEM's.

For those that tow with 265's E on the original stock rims, I would be interested in:
1. How many miles of towing and how heavy?
2. Any issues whatsoever going to this size tire on stock rim?
3. Any noticeable difference (other than looks of course)?

I am leaning towards Revo or Michelin LTX.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I ran 265 Revo's on my truck when I was pullin for a boat company and I was pulling boats in the 12-14,000lb range. Pull awsome! Pulled about 3-4,000 miles. I didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
448 Posts
have run 265 REVO's several thousand miles of towing 10-13K boats. No problems. Nice handling and running tire.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Towed alot with my '02 on 265's and stock rims. As soon as I can see the air in these factory donuts on my '05 I will be going with 265's again.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
never had problem towing approx 10000lbs never give it a second thought.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I switched to Michelin 265 LTX M/S tires last May (30k miles). Now I have about 47k miles...

Last July we towed 14k 5er (21k GCW) on vacation from IL thru CO, UT, CA, OR, WY, and back to IL. If you've never been through these states... they are among those that will put the upmost stress on your truck, and... tires, particular going down a steep grade with tight turns, and there were more than a few. On the whole trip (6000+ miles), there was not one time when the tires ever felt like they were squirming, or oversized for the rims.

On Jan 1 we towed the same fifth wheel from IL to FL, passing thru some mountains in TN. Not nearly as demanding as our vacation trip, but in differing weather conditions (cold/cool rather than hot). Same thing... no issues with tires.

Before buying the 265's, I talked with a tire shop (which installs mega amounts on tires on cars, and lots of trucks in our farming area). They said there should be no problem, though "technically" the max you should be putting on 16" rims is 245s. The experts were correct. AND.... by switching from 245s to 265s, the capacity jumps from 3000lbs to 34000lbs, PER TIRE. If you tow heavy, this should INCREASE (not decrease) your comfort level over 245s.

Enjoy them!
--Paul.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paul said it all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
SRW 3500 come with 265-75-16

The Factory steel wheel is 7 inchs wide 16X7 on the 9900 lbs SWR trucks.The wheels on HD2500 3/4 ton trucks are 6 1/2" wide with 245's on them.I think 265's ride smoother because of higher sidewalls

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 03 2500hd GMC with 305-70-16 Goodyear tires on the factory6.5 inch wheel and i tow frequentely a 8000 lbs construction trailer in the summer. I never get any trouble. I plan to buy Mickey Thompson Baja Claw of the same size to replace them soon and i will continue to tow my trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts