Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what kind of engine temps are ok when towing up big hills the temp on my truck stays about 190 ish when towing my toy hauler but up big hills goes to about 215 to 223 the fan comes on and brings it back down seems kinda hot to me does that sound normal? I have the edge juice stock intake and stock exhaust...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Is this a new issue, or did it always do this?
What level are you running the Edge Juice when towing?
What EGT's are you seeing during this condition?
What are outside temps during this problem?
When your coolant system temp is 190 deg F, is your upper radiator hose very firm/hard, or is it soft?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was running the edge on #2 the egt gauge isn't reading correctly the outside temp was about 55-60 f . I just bought the edge so when towing all I had was the dash gauge and I never knew what the true temp was so I was wondering if that was normal? thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think that is high, I towed close to 15K 5th wheel from Phoenix to Flagstaff last weekend in 115 degree heat, and not pushing the truck at all (2003 2500HD CC 4x4) my temp guage at one point on a long steep grade reached 235 (3/4) and my trany guage was about 240 (just under 3/4). I got stuck behind a semi going 30 mph and it lugged out to about 1700 rpms and the temps climbed quickly. I dropped it down and the rpms went to 2000, and the temp on the motor dropped down to about 220, the tranny did not, but the engine slowly climbed back up to 230 when the rpms dropped again, egt was 1250 F.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
mine does the same pulling 40 foot toyhauler and sea-doos. I just keep an eye on it, and back out of the throttle, or drop a gear and let her rev.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mine does the same pulling 40 foot toyhauler and sea-doos. I just keep an eye on it, and back out of the throttle, or drop a gear and let her rev.
Good call tiny!

When my buddy and I first started our trucking business (he had driving knowledge, I had managing knowledge) and he and his dad taught me to drive the trucks, that was basically trucking 101...If it gets hot, drop a gear, and keep dropping until you can EASILY accelerate up the grade. Any lugging and the temps will go up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts