Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a new travel trailer rv......the dry hitch weight of the camper is 756 lbs., and the unloaded camper weight is 6850 lbs...and is jus under 30 ft long...and I have a 3:73 gear ratio.....now I'm jus a little weary of how my old girl is gonna handle the load......to my thinking.......it should handle it.....but I was wondering what the towing capacity is on the 6.5?.....any help would be greatly appreciated!...Thanks!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Ya gotta fill out your signature so we know WHICH 6.5l you have.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I got near the same truck, and have no issues towing my 25ft 5th wheel, IIRC it weighs in just under 4000lb. Mine is low profile, it only sticks up a couple of feet above my cab. If your truck fuel and turbo system is working properly it will tow just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the camper is also 11' 4" high......so.....it will be like a god dam parachute back there!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a 25 foot toyhauler that weighs about 7000 with all the quads in it and it tows it fine. I have 4.10 gears though. But I went from 245 tires to 285 and I haven't towed with it yet so we'll see soon.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
You'll be fine as long as you dont expect to march up hills like a modded DMAX or Poserstroke.

The 6.5 is a stout motor, as long as you operate it in ITS envelope.

Tim

·
Registered
301 Posts
I own a 245 Springdale 5th wheel that weighs dry around 5700 lbs. Max weight for the trailer is a shade under 8K. I am probably pushing the envelope if I load the trailer to the limit. The towing I have done has been no problem with my set up. I do tow in OD on the flats @60 mph with mileage running around 10 mpg. I hit one particular grade of 6% for about 6 miles and that slowed things down to around 45 mph in second with water temps reaching 210 and tranny temps around 250. I did add a tranny cooler but have not towed with it since I put it on but empty it dropped the temps considerably. I think my next add-on will be the gearvendors overdrive/underdrive unit to help it along on some of the hills. The 6.5 may not get you to the top first but it will get you there.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I definately think that a tranny temp gauge is a must.....but nobody knows what the tow rating is on the 6.5td?

·
Registered
139 Posts
my truck is "rated" at 8500lbs...I have towed 10000 and it was a piece of cake:ro) If you look in your owners manual it will tell you what it is rated for.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
The 1500's are rated to tow around 6,000-6,500 I believe it is. But you can ask turbinedoc how much he can tow with his 98 1500(slightly modded of course;)). Put full guages on it and make sure your cooling system is up to par(t-stats, water pump, FAN CLUTCH and a larger trans cooler) and you should be alright to tow up to around 8,000. Just remember that you have a 1500 light duty and don't go nuts pulling up steep grades.

·
Registered
139 Posts
just checked my owners maunel and your truck is rated at 7000lbs.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 1500's are rated to tow around 6,000-6,500 I believe it is. But you can ask turbinedoc how much he can tow with his 98 1500(slightly modded of course;)). Put full guages on it and make sure your cooling system is up to par(t-stats, water pump, FAN CLUTCH and a larger trans cooler) and you should be alright to tow up to around 8,000. Just remember that you have a 1500 light duty and don't go nuts pulling up steep grades.
PLUS CLEAN BETWEEN THE A/C CONDENSOR & RADIATOR. This sould be done yearly on our trucks. I have the standard C-2500 and changed from 3.73 to 3.42. I have towed up to 27 FT travel trailers from Arizona to Montana right up the middle of the Rockies and have been very happy with how my truck handles the pull. Granted it always winter, but still many long grades. I think you will be fine with a little caution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts