Diesel Place banner

Towing A Fifth Wheel With A 4x4 C4500

15K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Jason_2500 
#1 · (Edited)
IM THINKNIG OF BUYING A 2005-2006 C4500 4X4 WITH THE TRUCK BED TO TOW MY WEEKEND WARRIOR CL4005 TOY HAULER WITH FLIPED AXELS. I AM WORRIED THAT THE 4X4 TRUCK WILL STILL SIT TO HIGH TO TOW MY RIG LEVEL. I NEED THE 4X4, 2WD IS NOT AN OPTION. DOES ANY BODY HAVE A SETUP LIKE THIS, OR HAS ANY BODY SEEN ONE LIKE HIS. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP. :help:

#2 ·
BIGJB,

The 4x4 Pick-up bed is much too high for un-modified fivers. Some alternatives I've seen require raising the fiver to fit the truck, meaning suspenssion mods, flipping axles (to under springs instead of between springs and frame), and larger sized rims and tires (not always possible on 3-axle trailers since they are placed so close together to begin with), and yet, they still seem to ride nose high.

My MDT is NOT a 4x4, and I went with the Versahauler body so that I would not have to modify my trailer, and could haul other folks trailers without worrying about ride heigths or clearances. The NEW Versahauler bodies now come with Hitch Cover, stake pockets, and stake rails for the sides and back, to make a flat floored stake sides hauler bed when not towing. With an 84" CA (Cab to center of axle), this give you 11 x 7 feet (actual 10 x 7 due to dovetail) of bed space for hauling, while the 60" CA is 9 x 7 (8 x 7 actual). Much more than the pick-up bed, and more weight on the rear axle when empty (all steel construction).

I've tried to bring a practical suggestion to the discussion and others may have different suggestions, so I hope this helps you in your decision making.

RF

#5 ·
I just found this site and saw your post, I just got a c4500 4x4 and also have ww cr3905 and I had to get hauler bed or a stake bed and I chose what I call a custom stake bed to save a little money. I also have the axles flipped. This combo will not work with a monroe bed it is to high

#11 ·
Hey BIGJB,

I have the 05 4x4 with a low side pickup style bed. I have the cl4005. Axles have been flipped. I still tow a bit front high on the trailer. It is not a big deal towing. The only issue I have is when we stop I have to disconnect to level the trailer. I am probaby about 2-3 inches high on the front.

Check out my link in sig. PM me with any q's.

techprof

#13 ·
Right at 50" measured from the ground to the top of the fifth wheel hitch. It settles about an inch when hooked to the camper.

#15 ·
Just a note on the front end being high when towing. It transfers more weight to the rear axle (assuming that it is a two or three axle trailer) and may cause you tire problems.

I just had to order the shorter gooseneck converter for my 5th wheel. When I took it across the scales, 72% of the weight was on the rear axle.

#17 ·
You pretty much can't run a dually/monroe bed and expect to tow a 5th wheel with a 4x4. If you managed to lift the camper high enough to fit on the truck you would be over height for pretty much all of USA & Canada. I think they only guys that are pulling 5th wheel trailers are gooseneck flatbeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.