Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am here to tell you that the ride comfort diffenetly goes to the 2500hd! The 3500 seems to buck quite a bit on expansion joints on the freeway,for me i will be ordreing a 3500 srw when available!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Why are you set on a 3500 srw? If ride is a huge consideration, I would get the 2500 HD and put some airbage on the rear springs to handle the extra load (700 lbs???). The added towing capacity of the 3500 srw is accomplished by a stiffer spring pack in the rear. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you're going to tow heavy loads, stability of the DRW is a big plus. The only difference in the 2002 rear spring pack from 3500 to 2500HD is an overload leaf. Switching to Bilsteins has sloved the "bucking" issue for most with the 3500 DRW running light loads.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
MadDuraMax

What do you mean Bilsteins what is that? My imput on this is that I tow with mine all the time and love how a dually holds the load better on the tires they dont boldge out so bad. Also I like how the dually holds a staight line down the road when the weight is on it it never wonders on the road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bilsteins are high quality nitrogen pressurized shock absorbers. They are way, way better than the stock shocks!

John

·
Registered
93 Posts
BennyBoy

One dually driver to another, try the Bilsteins, you have no idea what you are missing.

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the part #'s that i ask for and approx $$$ this is gonna set me back. Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
For the front they are BE5-6081-HO, and for the rear on the 3500 I believe they are BE5-6501-H1. Not positive on this, but any bilstein dealer should be able to confirm. Expect about $65 - 70 each, depending on where you get them.

John

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interesting ... back in October of '01 when we were looking for a truck we found the 3500 to ride better on our roads than the 2500. Couldn't understand that until we learned that 3500's have 3 stage springs and 2500's have 2 stage springs. Thusly, when we hit a bump driving a 2500 the heaviest springs cut in with a spine jaring jolt.

Put Bilsteins on my 3500 about 30,000 miles ago and haven't regretted it ... got mine from John Kennedy, http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ ... can't remember the price but the range listed above sounds about right ... Jim Edited by: JEBar

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove my truck over to the local repair facility and the tech says it has Bilstiens on it already from the factory. Says they started utting them on this year all 04 models have them,so??????

·
Registered
540 Posts
What color are those OEM Bilsteins??

I don't see anything listed in the specs for the 2004 that say that Bilsteins are standard and I find it hard to beleive they would fail to hype that they are installing an upgraded shock standard.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mabey they have been listining to us

I doubt it

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked with my local auto parts dealer on the Bilsteins, says national back order till end of the month. However he can get the Edelbrock $54 each, or Rancho's $64 each, the next day. Would either of these be good alternative,need to do it this week! But his book also just says 2002,are they still the same?Edited by: coach

·
Registered
326 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
I find it hard to beleive they would fail to hype that they are installing an upgraded shock standard.
Yea, I agree. Even Phord says they put Rancho's on the F150 FX4, so I can't see GM being tight lipped about Bilsteins.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the 2500HD I know they are the same, not sure though on the 3500.

John

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Coach,

I replaced my shocks with the Rancho fully adjustables. Man what a difference. A couple of clicks when towing and all is good. When empty, I soften them up. Either way, get away from the OEM's they are not even close.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Coach,

One of the big factors in ride quality between the 2500 and the 3500 is the extra overload spring and the impact they create when the make contact. The 3500 SRW will have the same springs and likely the same ride over expansion joints. This is especially uncomfortable if you have the truck loaded so the springs are close but not actually touching. The SRW will weigh less in back and that will help a bit. I just took delivery on a 3500 DRW and plan to remove the overload spring and replace it with an airbag. I will have the same (more actually) capacity and no hard hit from the overloads. You have greater stability when towing heavy with the DRW.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
The pin weight of my 5th wheel dictated that I needed a 3500 DRW. When my trailer is hooked up ready for the road, I don't have a lot left of the 11,400lb GVWR. I've got Timbren rubber springs on the back and it has a nice compliant ride when I'm pulling and she sure doesn't lean in the corners
. I intend on getting KYB MONOMAX shocks as soon as they're available and then I will have the ideal truck for me. But If you can get by with a 9900lb GVWR and never intend on getting a bigger trailer, maybe the 3500 DRW is overkill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doesn't matter if you're planning on getting a bigger trailer or not, it will happen
. Better off with the dually.

·
Registered
448 Posts
IMHO a dually definately is safer pulling than a SRW, but you'll never get one to ride as well as a SRW empty with the same suspension goodies because the unsprung weight is much higher on a dually

1 - 20 of 20 Posts