Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i bought a 40' fifth wheel triple axle rv and i want to haul it with my 94 6.5 "f" truck, it has the 8600lb rating and the 4.10 gears, also a cool air intake and i just purchased a boost, pyro and trans temp gauges (not yet installed)
also i have a prodigy brake controller installed, i will be installing a transgo kit and cooler on the 4l80 as well, but is that enough to haul the beast?

should i do the boost fooler trick to up the boost to help out? im sort of on a budget but i know several other members have experience with heavy trailers, so i wanted your ideas

Thanks...:D

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
40 feet?? :eek: :eek: Are you nuts? Just kidding.........I wish I had one also!

I pull a 30' fifth wheel double axle. My truck is stock, and underpowered.

I'm thinkin you will need to do the manual wastegate thing to get more boost to start with. The wind and the hills just demand alot of power.

Now, it all depends on how far and often you pull this 40' beast around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I pull a 38ft travel trailer bumper pull with a stock 3500 chev 6.5F with a prodfigy brake controller and small Dozer with 5th wheel. No speed on long up hill grade. Trailer wt 11,000 no problem so for.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Heya neeps ... check out this thread:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132000

Yeah, that's me, asking for advice. It doesn't sound like I can pull the trailer I wanted to buy, and other than having 3.73 gears (compared to your 4.10), I think I'm set up better for it, HP, exhaust, and cooling-wise.

My biggest issue is the overall CGVW ... I have the 9200 weight package, but when you take the truck weight and add on the trailer, I'm over. Check your weights and ratings closely.

I'm still thinking about mine, but I figure unless I go with an IC and maybe propane, it's gonna be tough sledding.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Just run down hill. Boost fooler, optic bump, and the wastegate springy thing should be enough to peg your gauges and crack your pistons. Don't plan on getting anywhere quick. Pop the hood on rest stops to let'r cool off. Think you will be way under powered but I am sure you'll find out soon enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think your going to be way over your 8600lb truck legal GVW, our 5th is only 25ft and our truck weights at 8400lbs on the scale.

The extra power would be nice to have , but I would be worried about stopping this monster 40fter !!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, the trailer has three axles and each has brakes controlled by a prodigy brake controller im not to worried about stopping, just pulling, and im not in a rush (i can go 60 if thats what it takes) but i want to haul it from Idaho to Florida on interstate in the next month (while its cool) if that helps any?

I seem to be getting conflicting ideas some say it should tough but okay and others think there isnt a chance? yet i have heard or several people here towing trailers that weigh more than this just fine

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
40 ft fifth wheel...?

I'm guessing full profile, that's one thing that will kill the aerodynamics.

The weight alone must be more than the truck can haul considering the weight of the truck. Then that huge wall catching the wind.

Sorry to say it but your way over the capability of the truck.

If it's a low profile 5er or low bumper pull at 10k you should be OK.

Made out of balsa wood?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DavidPhillips;1570137; said:
40 ft fifth wheel...?

I'm guessing full profile, that's one thing that will kill the aerodynamics.

The weight alone must be more than the truck can haul considering the weight of the truck. Then that huge wall catching the wind.

Sorry to say it but your way over the capability of the truck.

If it's a bumper pull at 10k you should be OK.

Made out of balsa wood?

It has three axles for the weight and the tongue weight is about 2200# how would a bumper pull be better that a fifth wheel, im curious???, it isnt really a full profile trailer it has a lower roof with a slanted aerodynamic front, thats not as bad as some of the "huge forehead" fifth wheels...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a pic of it, it looks bigger in the picture, its actually 38' long and it weighs 10k and 2200# tongue weight

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's good.

If it's a low profile it's not much worse than a travel trailer and has some aerodynamics, at least that's what I'm hoping because I'm picking up my 30' Wildcat this month.

If it's really only 10K you should be OK, not breaking any records but certainly capable.

Which 5er is it? 10K 40' triple with 2200lb hitch weight sounds unique.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
If that's the trailer forget it. Save yourself a WHOLE bunch of trouble.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Just saw the picture.

That thing weighs 15,000 +

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DavidPhillips;1570173; said:
That's good.

If it's a low profile it's not much worse than a travel trailer and has some aerodynamics, at least that's what I'm hoping because I'm picking up my 30' Wildcat this month.

If it's really only 10K you should be OK, not breaking any records but certainly capable.

Which 5er is it? 10K 40' triple with 2200lb hitch weight sounds unique.
It is a Royal International, made by Carriage, its a 1987 but it is loaded, even has a washer and dryer! and it was very high end at the time, i got it for cheap and it kinda just fell in my lap, also it has a generator in the front i could pull it for the trip, that may help the tongue weight some?

I know several of the guys here have upgraded their trucks to pull better and i was just wondering what ideas they had, i dont have to go fast, just dont want to kill the truck, but i cant afford a new truck so i can be patient on the freeway...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DavidPhillips;1570191; said:
Just saw the picture.

That thing weighs 15,000 +
wow you can tell the weight by looking at it, you should charge for that at the circus!!!:rolleyes: lol
the specs are from the documentation that came with the trailer, it is a high end trailer and is pretty light for what it is...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Look at Turbine Docs garage.

He's pulling heavy, with a lighter truck though.

You need to weigh it though, I can't see that weighing 10k. The numbers are always off a bit, but the rated weight don't include all of that other stuff. Just the shell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DavidPhillips;1570203; said:
Look at Turbine Docs garage.

He's pulling heavy, with a lighter truck though.

You need to weigh it though, I can't see that weighing 10k. The numbers are always off a bit, but the rated weight don't include all of that other stuff. Just the shell.
exactly, but i plan to haul it empty, empty tanks and no extra stuff other than some clothes and thats it! ill check out turbine docs garage

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Factor in generator, fuel tank, fuel, propane and tanks, air conditioners, refer, washer and dryer, furniture, personal property, water, waste, batteries.

What's the GVWR of the RV, that's going to give you some idea?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Also jifaire is pulling 10k,

I think he's going good with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im going to tow it to a park in florida and park it, it wont have any fuel or water in any tanks and no extra weight other than a bag of clothes..

1 - 20 of 70 Posts