Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have something in the truck I could use to pull my friends out of snow banks and other 'problems' they tend to get themselves into. I don't want to carry around a big set of chains if I can avoid it (I won't be pulling heavy rigs that are sunk to their axles in mud - not that I could anyways
).

I've got a big set of commercial tiedowns - 2 hooks on a wide strap with a good sized ratchet in the middle. It says it's good for 10K lbs, I assume I could always hook that to an <st1:City><st1:place>Austin</st1:place></st1:City> Mini sized car. I'd like something similar - a strap with two hooks maybe that'll take the load of a standard car. Do you guys know of something like this that's reliable, long lasting and easy to store? I saw some braided nylon rope that had a high rating, but I thought that my wear quickly? Maybe chain is the best thing?

Thanks for your suggestions...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check with 4 wheel parts suppliers for recovery straps of various lengths with loops at the ends. You probably want to stay away from those with metal hooks at ends in the event it comes loose during recovery as they become large "bullets" that can and will do considerable damage to your truck.... or even worse, hit someone standing there watching. They roll up nicely and store easily under the seat or behind it.

I've been on the giving and receiving end of the strap and a little tip that can save you is drape a towel or jacket or anything similar over the strap during recovery in case the actual strap breaks as it can do lots of damage itslef acting like rubber band..... the towel/jacket/whatever disrupts the rubberband effect and can save your bumber/tailgate.

Sorry for the long post.

KV

·
Registered
463 Posts
I got a 20k Lb, 20' tow strap @ Lowe's for around $20. Works well!

Kevin

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got a 40 Ton Crane sling for cheap, it's awsome (sorry for the weird typing hit wrong key). It is about 30 feet or so and works great, pull out a ton of stuff with it and never broke even pulled a 20x20 barn

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey - thanks to all of you for the ideas, I'm gonna go look for something without the hooks like you describe....

kvdmax - thanks for taking the time to add the tips!

MonteCarlo31 - I used to work at a pulp and paper mill - too bad I didn't think of the sling then, we had them everywhere....man I'd give anything to see a shot of a Monte Carlo pulling a barn
Edited by: EnerMax

·
Registered
285 Posts
haha....Sorry, it was our tractor that towed that. Man was it the worst idea my dad ever had, built the entire floor on our driveway and had to drag it down to our back yard. The only saving grace was we could get metal pipe under it to roll it. It was pulled with a JD 1070 Compact Utility tractor.

Lenny

·
Registered
157 Posts
Never use a tow strap with hooks. Get a real tow strap, one made for vehicle extraction and without hooks.

Remember that even though a strap may be rated at X pounds, that if you are removing a stuck vehicle, the actual load on the strap can be much higher. As an example, we once assisted in removing an 80's Chevy 1-ton from a mud pit. It was buried over the top of the 38" tires. It took a 9000 pound winch and a 12000 pound winch, both hooked up with pulleys, effectively making the total pull 31,500 lbs. Even then, we had to do a little at a time. The mud created a huge suction under the truck, plus you're dragging a few thousand pounds of mud out of the way along with the truck.

I've seen a lot of extractions, and a lot of stupid things - a couple that damn near killed people. Worst one was a guy that had hooked two tow straps together with a 1" d-ring. The strap nearest the tow vehicle sheared, and the d-ring flew back toward the stuck vehicle and hit just above the rear window on the passenger side. The dent it made was unbelieveable - it buckled the roof in about 12". If it had hit on the driver side, the driver would most likely have died instantly - decapitations do that!

If you want the ultimate tow strap, check out the Super-Yanker from MasterPull. They are stretchy like a super-bungee cord, so you can get a short running start to stretch the strap, which in turn "stores" the kinetic energy and effectively doubles the strength of your yank. Check it out at www.masterpull.com, and click on "Super-Yanker" in the column on the left.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mjollnir -- Since I don't really know what I'm doing it's mistakes like those you describe that I'm hoping to avoid! Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this - I'll have a look at the strap you mention.

Regards,

·
Registered
157 Posts
EnerMax said:
Mjollnir -- Since I don't really know what I'm doing it's mistakes like those you describe that I'm hoping to avoid! Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this - I'll have a look at the strap you mention.

Regards,
No problem! Remember the main stuff - don't use hooks, always hook to a solid point on each vehicle, never use a damaged strap, and keep everyone clear of the strap when using it. The suggestion given earlier about throwing a jacket or blanket over the strap is a good one, but I have to say in my experience, when it was time for the strap to come out, the stuck truck needed a bit more persuasion than a few gentle pulls would give. In other words, the blanket would not have stayed on the strap :). This is a common practice with winch cables when ewinching, but somewhat less common with tow straps. That's my experience, anyway. :)

If you get a 30,000# rated strap and take care of it, it should never fail you.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts